Thursday, August 30, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): kindergarten





dress ~ Dots
vest ~ thrifted
shoes ~ Kohls
necklace ~ F21
earrings ~ hand-me-downs
sunglasses ~ thrifted

oh my gosh you guys, eva started kindergarten yesterday. i now have two school-age kids – and i'm a mess. when henry started kindergarten, i expected to cry and i did, but i held myself together (for the most part). but there was something with eva that unhinged me. i am pretty sure it's because she is the baby. with henry, i could always tell myself, "well, there's eva and she's not in school yet..." i could hold on to the fact that at least one was still a little kid. and i know, i know that they technically, at seven and five, are still little kids. but to me, i see them starting school and i think to myself that it just seems like yesterday they were babies...and time flies by so quickly! i want them to still snuggle with me and not be embarrassed to hug me and come to me always when they get bumped and bruised. even when they are 30, i want them to crawl in my lap and snuggle with me. (ok, maybe that sounds weird, but i don't care.)

anyways, she paraded around on tuesday night, trying on outfit after outfit. she planned it all out and on wednesday morning, she asked if it was time to go to school at 6:15 am (school starts at 7:30). before anyone even woke up, i was crying sobbing as i made their lunches, and when it came time to finally bring her to school, i had to leave my sunglasses on, even when we were in her classroom. i didn't want her to see me cry. i wanted it to be a happy day....and it was, but there was a little bittersweet mixed in. 

so yes, now i am a mama to two kids in school. and they are excited. and they are in school together. i see years and years of big brother protecting and defending his little sister. and i see a few times where little sister will do the same for him. (watch out first girl who breaks his heart, eva will come after you!) and i see a mama who will cry every.single.year. and i see a papa who won't ever quite understand, but will hold me in his arms until i stop crying anyways.


xo,
megan bird

24 comments:

  1. You must be so proud of them though! Eva looks very much like you, so sweet. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute that she tried on different outfits! and I'm sure i'd be the same way. hope the rest of the week gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, FIRST OF ALL, thanks for making me cry this morning. My firstborn starts school on Tuesday and I'm totally in denial. Wasn't she born last week?! Secondly, how adorable is it that Eva tried on multiple outfits AND struck a pose in that photo? Is her mama a fashion blogger or something? And lastly, now I need to go buy a black maxi dress. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva looks so pretty for her first day of kindergarten! Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up? I don't have kids yet but I KNOW I will cry on their first day of school! You look beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, so sweet. I am sure I'd be sobbing too. But she is totally adorable and I bet she'll do awesome in school! Hugs to you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cute little denim vest! I want one like that too! And I have been away and just read that Nora had her baby, congratulations! Can't wait to see more pictures! Hope she is doing well. And as for Kindergarten, it is hard, I have been there too when my youngest went to Kinder. He is now in Grade 3 and I do appreciate the time now I have to myself when my two boys are at school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at your cute kiddos! I was the same way when my baby started kindergarten this year. It really made me think of that part in Dumb and Dumber when Jim Carey is leaving Mary at the airport ("Be . . . strong . . . "). Plus side? For me at least this means I am thatmuchcloser to no more day care costs. Woop woop!

    I love your black maxi dress and that cropped denim vest is the perfect accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AW! so adorable. that has got to be such a bittersweet moment in life - but great. and you look adorable - cutest momma ever!

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kids are so adorable in their back to school outfits! It must've been so hard for you but it's great that Eva was so excited about school :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my jewelry giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha aw, they're so adorable! i wonder if my mom cried when i went to school- i was just super excited to have an excuse to own a Barbie lunchbox. I'm sure there's still plenty of time for snuggling and hugging :) and cute look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your maxi dress and your sunglasses! And your kids are so cute! I hope they have a great start to the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Megan, besides that fact that I love that vest(that little sweet vest) with your maxi dress, this story really got me at the end. Big brother, and fiance holding you until you stop crying. Too darn sweet. Great look for you, especially transitioning into the Fall season. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what she picked to wear - stylish like her mama!

    I cry every year. I cry at the end of the year thinking of the year to come. I'm a mess. And I'm ok with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. they are both adorable kiddos. :) I dont have kids yet but I know I will be a mess when they leave for school.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, they grow up so quick! This post is incredibly sweet and made me smile. I am sure she'll have a great time starting school. It's so exciting! And I am also loving the combo of this black maxi and denim vest. So classic! And great for these late summer days.

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Megan, I can't even say anything about this blog post without feeling emotional myself! So, nope, not going to say anything, not even going to start thinking about when my last baby will start school. Just know that I read your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok this vest and dress combo ROCKS! They look adorable, I love the classic first day of school photo! Ugh, it must be hard though, seeing them grown and go off on daily school adventures that you can't be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet story, feel quite teary myself. My kids have started at three different times so I've yet to do that "first day back" photo. That denim vest looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
  19. love those first day of school photos
    so precious
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, first days are always a bit of a challenge. I can remember walking my oldest into kindergarten and she turned to me and said, "you can go now Mom!" I was more than a little surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a very caring and stylish mom! Good call on the sunglasses! Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. aww! you're not alone so many parents cry on the 1st day of kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Naww so sweet! Hope it gets easier :) PS At least you'll be the most stylish crying mum?

    Life etc

    ReplyDelete