Tuesday, August 7, 2012

bird.i.y.: the easiest rug you will ever make

i have been in a redecorating sort of mood lately. this is nothing new for me, as i really love decorating and redecorating (and re-redecorating) our house. i always do it on the cheap (craigslist, thrift stores, etc.), so it's a obsession hobby that i can easily have fun with. for some reason, i had the desire to rid our first floor of all the current rugs. i get in these moods...i don't know why, but they had to go. i replaced the large one in our living room (after hours of internet searches and massive amounts of emails to my sisters and chris..."how about this one?" "how about that one?") and then i knew i needed to get rid of the one in our sunroom.

you see, the sunroom is one of my favorite rooms in the house. it's so cozy, and is the perfect place to lay down and read a book or watch tv. we can fit the whole family on the daybed and we will often have family movie night in the sunroom. but it just didn't feel right to me. the large braided run was just too much. i actually got to a point where i despised the rug.


before
(yes, i left crap on the daybed and the vacuum in the corner. you have to make "before" pictures as ugly as possible.)

what i really wanted was a faux sheepskin or bearskin rug. i didn't want a real one...i'm not about to kill an animal just to redecorate my sunroom on a whim. and i didn't even want to spend a ton of money on a new one. cause i'm frugal...yes, i am. i then remembered that i had bought a large piece of faux fur fabric (say that three times fast) at a thrift store a while back. i don't know why i bought it, i just did. don't judge...sometimes (all the time) i buy things just because i think i will be able to do something with it at a later date. (this is why i have 5 10 20 embroidery loops in my basement.)

no teddy bears were harmed in the making of this rug
so i set about to make my own rug. yeah, that's right, i made a rug.

i pulled out a white eyeliner pencil – because i'm prepared like that – and drew half of what i wanted the rug to look like. i free-handed it because i didn't want it to be perfect.
i then folded it in half and cut.

at this point, there was faux fur everywhere. i didn't account for the fact that the material wouldn't hold up to cutting. seriously, fur everywhere. it was like i got into a fight with the stuffed animal section at target and won. so i had to quick come up with a solution...i couldn't have faux fur regenerating itself and filling my house!

so i grabbed the spray adhesive. i could have sewed it....nah, who am i kidding? i couldn't have. (maybe if i ever learn how to thread my bobbin.) luckily i have a dresser full of craft supplies (see above about how you never know when you might need/use something) and there was a handy bottle of spray adhesive. so i took the bear rug (his name is peaches) outside and sprayed away. i applied two rounds of spray on the whole edging of the "rug".

i then attached some carpet tape to the bottom of the rug.

i flipped it over, stuck it where i wanted it and voila...hand-made rug! (i just googled 'rug maker' to see if there was a special name for someone who makes rugs. apparently there isn't. that's too bad, i wanted to have a cool title to add to my resume.)

the finished product

the daybed is my favorite place to lay (before i made the rug, at least...i might just want to lay on peaches when i read from now on).

and one more look at peaches for good measure!
aerial shot!
and now i am singing "you're a rug maker, dream maker, love taker don't you mess around with me". (to the tune of pat benetar's 'heartbreaker'.) (yes, that ages me.) (are you singing it now, too?) (i hope so!)

anyhow, i can assure you that i will probably never post a diy on this blog that isn't something that you can't do yourself. what i lack for in diy patience and talent, i make up for in creativity!

have a great day!
xo,
megan bird

35 comments:

  1. Wow! Rug maker indeed! This looks awesome!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now this is such a fun look; I'm impressed! And just imagine......bare bottom baby on a fur rug photos! Great blackmail material for when they hit their teens; I know my daughter was never late home from a date. Just sayin'...;-)

    Thanks so much for the encouraging words yesterday; they meant so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cool! I love how it looks - and that room is awesome - I want to relax in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am impressed (and back from holiday!), this is an amazing idea! Love it (and your daybed!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a sun room! I love the idea of one. I also love this rug! And now I will have Hearttaker stuck in my head the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! Love it!
    xx

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! We have a room just like that... kind of want to try this out for it! :)

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO amazing! I want to go home and make this rug right now!

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it - and I REALLY love the daybed and green ottoman. What a great room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice rug. that looks expensive to me. Maybe I will try to make this, it doesn't look hard at all.

    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you got that song stuck in my head! It's a great one! Your rug is pretty awesome. You should definitely give yourself a pat on the back for that. And I love your pink walls!!!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  12. well arent you crafty :) It really came out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha - I love your whole account of the rug making process! And it came out great! That room looks SO cozy, and the new rug is perfect :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! And yes I am singing along darn you lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clever title...boy, you really think of them Megan. Love this room, the colors, the happy feeling and the diy rug...and my day bed for overnight stays. Great job and very creative. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I am singing and I do sing that song at Karaoke. dawn xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perhaps I have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old boy, but there are tons of good phrases in this post. "Thread my bobbin," "lay on peaches," "one more look at peaches," etc. Well done. Oh yeah, and nice rug, Megan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful rug! I bet it feels wonderful on your feet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing post!!! Great pics!!!

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.com.es/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peaches is too damn snuggly looking for his (her?) own good. I might have to steal Peaches for my kids' room, especially since our old dog as decided to use it as her one stop potty shop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely rug! Looks like such a cosy room to relax in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love your writing style. It's so fun and personal. This is such a great DIY project and the perfection replacement for the old rug in your sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your writing style. It's so fun. This is the perfect DIY project. The rug is super cute and a great replacement for the old one in the sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is so weird that you posted this
    i got son2 a furry rug about a year ago for his room (not a diyer) i was offering it up to his brother for his new apt and son2 said, oh no...that rug is going to my dorm room!
    i had no idea he had such an attachment to that furry rug.
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the fuzzy rug, and that daybed is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is awesome. I've been meaning to get a rug for my living room. That would look so cute. Thanks for the idea.

    -Shakiyla

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job Megan! Your room turned out great. What a great place to use as a reading room. I think the rug was the perfect final tough. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a cool idea for a DIY rug! And I really like how you decorated the room, it looks so cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. love your blog<3 It's really fantastics <3 ps: let me know if we can follow each other :D It will be a great pleasure to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aw, I love it!! Great room and I am inspired by the DIY!

    xx
    Lynn

    PS -- and I LOVE the gold oxfords!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the heart cut out shirt! So cute!!!!!

    xoxo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete