Tuesday, July 31, 2012

winner winner! zucchini breakfast!

on saturday morning i woke up (still pregnant and not in labor. not even close. the Buca did not work! dang it!) and checked my email while deciding what to make for breakfast. awesomely enough, i had received an email from one of my favorite recipe blogs, smitten kitchen, with a recipe for zucchini bread pancakes. even more awesome, we had just gotten a bunch of yummy looking zucchini in our CSA box last week! (for the locals, we get our CSA from East Henderson Farm, which is run by one of the coolest and nicest couples you will ever meet, half of which has been one of my best friends since kindergarten). so, i put on some cartoons for mimi and got to work in the kitchen. these pancakes turned out super yummy and were super easy. seriously, the hardest part was grating the zucchini! i highly recommend making them. i followed the recipe pretty much to a T (we didn't have buttermilk, so i used the milk/yogurt option). bon appetit!

grate the zucchini

mix all the moist ingredients and add the zucchini

mix together all the dry ingredients and stir that mixture into the zucchini mix

place 1/4 cup portions into a cast iron skillet, with melted butter, over medium heat

once you see bubbles, flip the cakes and cook the other side (each side takes about two to three minutes)

place cooked cakes in a preheated, 200 degree oven. this helps to keep them warm as well as cook any centers that haven't quite finished cooking through!

serve with butter and syrup and enjoy!

this girl sure did...

what do you think? would you eat zucchini bread pancakes??? i will definitely be making them again!

i hope you all have a great day!

xoxo, nora bird

21 comments:

  1. Hmphhh I just got a few zucchini that I was unsure what to do with... Just found their purpose. Thanks for sharing! Mimi sure looks like she likes them so I guess my little one will too!

    http://danaslookbook.blogspot.com/

    XOXO Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as we like zucchini bread around here? Oh yes, we'll definitely be trying this one....I'll prolly play with it a bit to make it closer to my zucchini/cheddar/bacon muffins though! Mimi is a doll, love the picture show!

    I'll be keeping fingers crossed that your little Mr. pops out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm these look beyond fabulous and i just LOVE zucchini! mmm mmmm goooood!Thanks for sharing! Hugs from California! xx,
    The Golden Girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM, YES i would definitely eat zucchini pancakes ... these looks delicious! And, love that picture of the little one!

    Definitely trying this.

    xo everything-pretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so making those this weekend! Yum!
    Cate @ Wild Ruffle

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh most definitely! loved the video - still - video motion!!!! baby time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my mom's favorite things to make! They are SO good :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing on this recipe - I just got two giant zucchinis from a co-worker and have been looking for ideas. I might try these this weekend!!

    Come on baby boy bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! I want to make them :)

    I hope he comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so, so good. I need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DELICIOUS! I am so hungry now, lol :) I will definitely be giving this a try!

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these look good!! I will have to try these some day, Ah and I keep checking your blog eagerly awaiting the big day!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Good for you for getting CSA boxes, too! I'm going to bookmark this to try later! Thanks!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm... I never thought of grating zucchini but this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I normally am not a fan of zucchini, but this looks quite tasty!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've had zucchini pancakes before & zucchini fritters too. my favorite way to eat zucchini is in a homemade zucchini sauce. the zucchini gets grated in it just like your recipe here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im definitely gonna try these! They look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. these look SO good! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to drop by to see if you had baby boy yet! OK well since you have not...I am going to bed. Love the pics and the recipe. The Mimi show is great! Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks fabulous. A great way to use up all that garden zucchini...I'm definitely trying this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete