Friday, July 6, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): burnin' up

skirt ~ thrifted
belt ~ thrifted
tank ~ thrifted
hat ~ thrifted
sandals ~ vintage, thrifted
earrings ~ Dots
 
ok, so maybe i put too much faith in coconut oil. (i guess i should start by saying that maybe i talk a little too much about coconut oil.) but really, i love the stuff. love it. like want to marry it love it. the day i wore this outfit, i missed a turn because i was talking to the ladies in the car about coconut oil. missed my turn! chris told me the other day that my boobs look fuller (read: not like the saggy mom sacs they normally look like) (sorry, tmi) and i just said, "coconut oil". ok, i know, i am giving coconut oil too much credit. after all, i don't even rub the stuff on my boobs (maybe i should) (would that be weird) (only if i told you about it) (like i'm telling you now), but i'm sure that somehow it is the reason for my new-found perkiness...forget the fact that i have started doing more push-ups at the gym, i honestly credited the coconut oil.

the day i wore this outfit (and missed my turn), i decided to use coconut oil as sunblock. we went to an amazing flea market, and ended up being out in the sun for about four hours straight (dumb time to test out the merits of the oil). and i got burnt. and then, pathetically, i defended the coconut oil. it wasn't the oil's fault...i should have reapplied after two hours! and i couldn't reach the backs of my shoulders, that is why they got burnt. i will use coconut oil as sunscreen again, but i guess i will make sure that i am only in the sun for less than two hours. because no one wants to see me reapply coconut oil all over my body (cause that would be weird).

xoxo,
megan bird

ps. the winner of the shabby apple giveaway is gina m from crave to save! we will email you with the deets on how to claim your gift certificate!

26 comments:

  1. what a cute outfit!! love the color of your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fedora goes so well with your tank, adorable! I've never used coconut oil before but now I'm intrigued! Although I will stick with regular sunscreen...anything with "oil" in the name scares me to use out in the sun! Have a great weekend :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes sunburn! Hopefully it isn't going to break your love affair with it! I have been nervous to try coconut oil but you're starting to convince me.

    Also, love your hat, perfect for spending time out in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used coconut oil on my table as it had a white spot from a hot dish and my friends were amazed! I shared the secret and I agree that an intervention may be needed as I put it everywhere, in my house, on my body! It is great stuff and I can almost hear the waves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh i can't believe basically that whole outfit is thrifted. you look so cute!! and i'm so sorry to hear about your sunburn! girl i am super pale so i know the pain!

    still being [molly]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut oil works best as sunscreen IF your skin is *not super-clean*. You need some of the natural oils (and a wee bit o' dirt) to work WITH the coconut oil to provide better protection. So it's not going to work so well if you apply it straight out of the shower.
    I totally want your hat - and your legs look a mile long in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the skirt n how u belted it...very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember you saying "It's not the coconut oil's fault!" ha! I have those picture from the flea market and peppermint twist on my flickr if you want them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute outfit!

    http://mysecretshopping.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are hilarious! I'm going to get some coconut oil and wait for my girls to get bigger! ;)
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  11. New Follower!!!! You two are about as cute as it gets!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness you made me laugh! It was definitely the coconut oil that made your hubby notice your perky boobs (haha. between you and katie from hems for her i have talked about boobs a lot today!) and it was definitely not coconut oils fault for making you burn. Have a good weekend!

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  13. i want to cook with coconut oil! i heard that it makes for excellent pancakes! and i guess perky boobs as well. how versatile!!!

    love the cute shorts. all i feel like wearing lately is shorts!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute, I love it!!!!

    xoxo,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am digging this color! It's a great shade for a pair of summertime shorts.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the little stories you guys post on here. I might have to start rubbing coconut oil all over me too if it works that good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch! I saw the Instagram pic the other and felt badly for you.:( But I love that you're defending your beloved coconut oil to the very end.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute look! ^^ I'm so happy it's been sunny and warm here too, finally !

    Satu
    Indie by heart

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make me laugh so much! Yes TMI, but hilarious TMI!!! Poor you, burning is not fun! However, cute coral shorts and turquoise belt combo is a winner!x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha - you are hilarious! Maybe I need to try some coconut oil :) Love the skirt - so cute...have a great weekend!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that skirt it is a great colour!! LOL you aer too funny about the coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouch Megan. I stopped going in the sun when I was 25. I burnt myself one more time after that and that was it. I was in florida with the girls and burnt the sh@# out of my back. What a fool I was to have ruined the rest of my vaca. Anyway, when I went for my boob consult, the doctor explained to me that the reason why my boobs were so heavy was because I did not have kids. Explanation: When a woman has kids, her boobs deflate, when a woman does not have kids, the weight of the big boobs that were higher falls down leaving the weight lower but without deflation which results in heavy and low G longs. TMI...I know. I love this outfit on you, it's casual, chic, and your boobs look perfectly perky. Have a great weekend. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never used coconut oil as a sunblock. In fact, I never heard that it works as that. I'm sorry to hear that you got burnt! I try to stay away from the sun because I tan so easily, and that's no fun!
    ♥laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the greatest finds are found at thrift stores. Oh, and I don't know the use of coconut oil but I think you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your hat and skirt! I've never heard of using coconut oil, but that's a great idea!

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete