Wednesday, July 11, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): bat's unbelievable!




dress ~ Urban Original
shoes ~ Go Jane
earrings ~ hand-me-down from lil sister kristin
bracelets/watch ~ vintage, thrifted

chris goes on an annual golf trip every year with some buddies. the first time he went, i was about eight months pregnant with eva. henry and i had had a nice day together, and we both went to bed fairly early. i fell asleep with my light on, as i often do when i read before i go to bed. and i woke up to a slight swishing noise. i thought i was dreaming, or i thought it was some weird pregnancy side effect, and i didn't think too much about it. but then i heard it again, and i started to feel a presence nearby. i slowly opened my eyes and saw a bat circling my head. i ran out of the room, slammed the door and ran into what would soon be henry's new room. i didn't want to go into his room for fear that the bat would follow me. so i put a towel under the crack of his door and locked myself in the other bedroom. the only problem was that my phone was in our bedroom, and i was now locked in a bedroom in a nightgown, eight months pregnant. i thought about climbing off the balcony and down a gutter to enlist my neighbor's help...but then i thought twice. remember, eight months pregnant and nightgown? so i did what i had to do and ran into my room as fast as i cold to grab my phone, ran out and slammed the door again.

i called my little sister and bjorn, her boyfriend at the time (now my brother-in-law). it was about 2am, and luckily they were young and still awake. they drove over and bjorn came into the house, tennis racket in hand. he searched the whole upstairs to no avail. he had me convinced that however the bat got in, it also got out. so they left, and i, believing in his bat-tracking tendencies, went back to bed. the minute i turned the light off, i heard it come zooming at me again. so once again, i ran out of the room, slammed the door and called them once more. they came back, and brought with them a fierce determination to save this pregnant damsel in distress. he went upstairs again, and we waited. and waited. and waited. and what felt like an hour later (but was probably really only five minutes), bjorn screamed like a girl and came running down the stairs yelling, "IT'S A BAT OUTTA HELL!" the bat was following him, so bjorn screamed at me to open the door. i did as i was told, let the bat out, only to have bjorn lock me outside with a hysterical bat. we must have been a sight.

of course the next year, we joked about the incident before chris went on his annual trip again. but it turned out to not be so funny because once again, as i was folding laundry in the basement, what comes flying at me but another bat. same weekend, different year. unfortunately for me, bjorn and kristin had moved out of the state, so they could no longer be my saviors. so i called the restaurant where my sister works, and about 10 minutes later, two employees, the owner and a customer all showed up with towels, rackets and some liquid courage. they called themselves the bat busters, and sure enough, they saved the day.

chris is due to leave on his annual trip again in a few short weeks. what do you think will happen?

have a batty day!
xo,
megan bird

37 comments:

  1. I love the blue dress Megan, the color really suits you... and the shoes are just to adorable! x Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH. megan. this story is both hilarious, terrifying, hilarious, and terrifying... a BAT?! where you do live that you have tons of rogue bats?! that is crazy!!!! i would seriously be terrified. and if i was pregnant? forget it. i would get out a gun and kill that bat. i don't own a gun, but i would find one. hahaha. man, i really hope you don't have another bat incident!!! keep us posted :) also, your dress is GORGEOUS. love that blue color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, same bat time, same bat channel? You really need to break that bat habit?

    Okay, I'm taking my puns and running like a bat outta hell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a crazy story! and really funny. but I don't think I'd be laughing in the moment! you look so cute in that dress- it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. Way Megan! No way. This story just thoroughly creeped me out. When Matt and I went on our cross country trip we were at a campsite in San Diego. I went into the bathroom before bed and was trapped inside the stall with a bat flying towards my head. I was screaming and Matt came running thinking something awful was really happening to me. But two years in a row? I don't think I could handle that!

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! That is so crazy that it happened not once but TWICE! When I was younger, we had flying squirrels in our house that were coming in through the chimney. My mom, my sister, and I locked ourselves in one of the bedrooms and were screaming till my dad corralled it. They called animal control and got them out. It was nuts!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hilarious story. You had me cracking up! Me don't like bats...yuck! They just creep me out. One got caught in my mother's hair, as she ran away from it. Her hair had to be cut in order to get the bat off. Kind of a terrifying moment for us. Anyhow, this dress is so gorgeous. I love the color and I'm enjoying that you paired it with pink shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you get a bat in your house TWO TIMES?! That's totally crazy. Sylvia's story about her mom is a bit terrifying, btw- I can't imagine getting a bat caught in my hair. Your dress is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan this is too funny! And scary - you poor thing...I would be freakin' out about Chris leaving again...but 3rd time's a charm so maybe you'll be bat-less this year! Love that gorgeous blue dress :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahah i love your posts! we had a similar instance they are scary little bastards! i will cross my fingers your bat free this trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan this dress is so beautiful on you. Shoes are an excellent choice. Sexy bat woman! Story is unbelievable. Well told! Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  12. I probably would have gone into labor the moment I saw that bat!!!

    Love your dress Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh! That is enough to make anyone--pregnant or not--just insane! What a crazy story! I am so glad that you have people that can help you in these situations--I would have freaked out!!!!

    I love, love, LOVE your baby blue pleated babydoll dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bats! Though I will concede that I would probably scream if one flew at me in my sleep. That is a pretty amazing coincidence though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok Megan, you and I are bat sisters - I was the one to find TWO bats in my old place of employment. It was an old building, one time I'm the one who found a bat in the toilet in the bathroom and then another time I ended up with a bat slowly dying in a box in my office. MY OFFICE. It was not pretty, I heard these noises and went to get a co-worker and they're like, um, you have a bat in here. Craziness.

    I sincerely hope you have no batty visitors this weekend though, your stories definitely take the cake over mine for sure!

    And not relating to bats, I love your dress and shoes. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. good grief! that's insane. it's like truth being stranger than fiction. some would say the bat symbolizes something, but i wouldn't know what.

    ReplyDelete
  17. in all the bat crazy, i forgot to add how much i like the twiggy like mod 60's blue dress. very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG haha that is one intense story! I cant believe it happened again the following year... I wonder if its the same bat that knows... ha-ha. LOVE that dress on you!
    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nooo! I can't believe you've had two terrible bat incidents! Yikes! And wasn't the squirrel incident just this weekend? I think three weird animal occurrences and the universe is done with you, so no worries!!!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is crazy! Maybe it doesn't like you and comes out suck your blood after Chris leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Omg, I probably would have flipped out and ran out of the house and refused to go back in until someone got rid of that thing! You look so cute in this dress, the color is amazing you.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so not a fan of bats! That's really weird they keep showing up on that same weekend for your sake I hope it doesn't show up this time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm pretty good about handling rodents and bugs - bats, I'm not so sure about! Yikes.

    LOVE your dress.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. That is a crazy (but hilarious) story. I hope this year isn't a repeat.

    And your dress? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! Weird that it was the same weekend! I once had a whole frat house come over with their fraternity paddles to kill a bat in my friend Addie's living room about 3am... it was a sight to see! That dress is super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's an awesome story! Maybe you should start booking yourself a mini spa vacay when he has this golf trip because those bats seem to have a thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhhh! I love the style of this dress - soooo chic! This is a fab color on you too!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok, and am I losing my mind or did you guys send me your email so we can try meeting up one of these days... well I can't seem to find it (again - mind is bye bye) - my email is hsboschke30@gmail.com - let's chat :)

    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with still being Molly, forget it!! Pregnant or not, I am not dealing with a bat! Don't they carry rabies?? I'd get the gun (I don't have) and kill it too! Maybe go ahead and get a few weapons prepared and then he won't show up!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! Seriously?? I would loose the plot if I woke up to a bat in my bedroom!
    Maybe you should gatecrash his trip?? lol

    I LOVE that dress, it's such a fun cut & i love the colour on you.

    P.s your shoes are amazing too xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. When my mother was expecting me (cause that was what they called it back in the day) she steppe don a bat. So, now, naturally, I am super scared of bats.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Holy crap, that really was a bat out of hell! Yikes, I'm glad you survived that chaos. But oh my goodness, you look ridiculously cute here. I am into swing dresses lately, and yours is precious with the pleats and the Peter Pan collar!

    May the force be with you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  33. what a story! i wish you a bat-free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Need your shoes! So cute. And that dress is darling. I wish you luck and no more bats!! Haha. What a funny (but scary) story.

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the dress. I never would have thought to pair it with those shoes but it totally worked.

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh my goodness what a crazy story! And it happened twice! ahh! ... Good luck hun!

    ReplyDelete