Thursday, July 19, 2012

bird bath: the time i burned my face

i have mentioned before that i am a bit of a sucker for things i see on tv or read on blogs. so when i read about a cool natural face mask, i try it...usually before doing any research on it. if someone says they love it, that is my research. until now (who am i kidding...i will still be a fool). i read about a face mask the other day that was supposed to be the bomb.com. i had all the ingredients in my house, so i mixed it up one morning and slapped it on my face.

ingredients:
1 T honey (read about the awesomeness of honey here)
1 T plain yogurt (read about how great yogurt is for your skin here)
a dash of cinnamon (read more about cinnamon here...if you dare!)

pre-burn
all was going well, i even asked chris if he wanted to use the leftovers. he said no, and then i said, "this is starting to burn". still believing that it would make me look 10 years younger, i kept it on. i started the shower, felt the burn even more, got in the shower, kept thinking to myself, "it's supposed to feel this way", washed my hair, and finally when i couldn't take the pain any more, i washed the mask off my face. i was actually scared to put my face under hot water for fear of more burn. and it had only been a few minutes. the directions i read said to keep the mask on for 10 minutes!

this is what my face looked like when i got out of the shower.

feel the burn!
do you smell what the rock is cookin'?
seriously, do you see the very evident line of red? my face was literally burned from the cinnamon. but do you know what helped? let's all say it on the count of three. 1.2. coconut oil!

ok, so here's the deal, cinnamon burns. well it burns my face, at least. i have very sensitive skin (obvi), and when i finally did my research (too late), i learned that cinnamon is good for acne-prone skin, which i do not have. so do your own research...it might be great for your skin. i don't want to come off as anti-cinnamon. after all, i love it on toast!

and for the redeeming part of this post (if you're still reading) (i may have offended the pro-cinnamon sect)...i did some research (and by research, i mean i googled 'honey yogurt mask' and made the first one i read about. my bad.) and came up with a great one for my face. same as above but instead of cinnamon, i used nutmeg. nutmeg is a natural anti-inflammatory and is said to "plump" fine lines and wrinkles. (i have even heard it's a great mix with cinnamon.) this one was delightful on my face, and i was even able to leave it on the full 10 minutes.

see how much happier i look?
look mom, no burn lines! just freckles!


so i guess the moral of this story is to do your own research. or, if you have very sensitive, normal-to-dry skin like me, feel free to test out the nutmeg version of this mask. i do love it, and will continue to use it on a weekly basis!

have you tried anything great on your face lately? tell me about it, and i'm sure i'll test it out!
xo,
megan bird
ps. on a totally unrelated note, we are super excited about this!

40 comments:

  1. haha... you are amazing :) you should try the DMK enzyme mask, now that is something you have never experienced before, I am sure:) one of my fav skin treatments ... google it! x Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch! owwwwie Ouch OUCH!

    A lot of people are sensitive to cinnamon, sadly.

    Did you know that honey breaks down into a natural peroxide when exposed to the air, but without killing live skin cells? That's why honey was once considered the sovereign remedy for burns, and is once again being used in the UK for difficult burn cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for posting this. i just put plain greek yogurt on my skin and I totally got burned, no cinnamon, just yogurt! i didn't know what to do so i put honey and now it's calming down. I'll never do that again!!

      Delete
  3. 1st-congrats on the PS! 2nd ouch! i am glad it worked out! we did a post on homemade facials http://lotusblossomdesign.blogspot.com/2011/11/diy-weekend.html the oatmeal one was messy but i loved the olive oil and brown sugar xo have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally see me doing something like this too, for some reason, whatever someone says on the internet about beauty things is the gospel truth as far as I'm concerned. Glad to see it didn't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that looks really painful! I have never tried cinnamon on my face before, but I also have really sensitive skin so I imagine I'd have the same reaction. Glad you didn't leave it on the full 10 minutes! And I'm the same way... my "research" is hearing other people's opinions and clicking on the first Google link I find :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I'm always doing stuff like that without much research. Just too optimistic I guess. So glad the second one went better:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is scary that it burned your skin! I'm glad you were able to find a non-painful alternative :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! That definitely looks like it burned! I do have acne prone skin, so I might try it for myself though...

    Congrats again on the awesome PS! I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, do you smell what the rock is cookin'... love it. Boo for the burns, but yay for nutmeg! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, kind of funny and kind of sad! Not good about the burning but at least you know now to use nutmeg instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch, at least you know never to do that again! :) I am a research freak, sometimes its a bad thing bc I get stressed out by doing to much ha-ha

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, that's awful! Poor you! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the mention! #1! Awesome! And I'm so glad your face got better! Who knew cinnamon would burn but nutmeg would cool? Huh!
    --Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know if i would try that but you are brave lady...glad everything turned out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and I think it is amazing. I am following you now)))
    I will be honored if you come visit my blog and follow it if you like it. Have a nice day!
    xx
    Diana
    double-ganger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. cinnamon on the face sounds bad! when i was a kid, it was a thing to like a big red wrapper and stick it your forehead and see how long you could handle it (it burned!).

    <3 katherine
    current giveaway on of corgis & cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I'm going to try the nutmeg version :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the sound of nutmeg plumping fine lines and wrinkles...I may just try it! Have a lovely weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you for finding the Anti dote and sharing. I have acne prone but sensitive skin, although I wont try any of those masks... too scared

    xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats scary! I dont do the face pack regularly(lazy) but i wash my face with chickpea flour and use glycerin mixed with rose water as a moisturizer in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I may have to try the nutmeg. Appreciate the warning about the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouch! That doesn't look fun. Is it weird that I kinda wanna try it now? (I do have acne prone skin though) I tried a gelatin and milk mixture once that's supposed to be like a pore strip for blackheads and it worked ok but the heated mixture absolutely STANK!

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ouchy ouchy who knew natural could be so painful! I am really intrigued by homemade face masks but as I also have sensitive (and not acne prone skin) I will do my research! Yay Megan we're freckle twins (as close as I get to a tan!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Megan how exciting that two birds was recognized as number one on that list. Congratulations to you both. You have a fabulous blog that is growing everyday. You work hard to keep us following along and you should be proud. Sorry that you burned your sensitive skin. Thanks for the warning about Cin. I will just stick to putting it on toast. Have a great weekend. I am going to have dress taken in as soon as possible...i absolutely loveeeee it. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, ouch! I have acne prone skin but after this I'd be scared to try the mask!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, girls! I liked your blog, it looks interesting! I offer you my sincere friendship!=)
    Please, follow me on Bloglovin: Kisses From Europe
    I will follow you via Bloglovin;) Let's support each other! ^^
    Love&kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is something new. I've only tried yoghurt, honey and olive oil. It works great on me but not on my bf's skin. His skin breaks out after a 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg, what a story! i heard before that cinnamon can be irritating the skin ...

    now i'm going to have my fruits with yoghurt, cinnamon and honey. i feel scared... ;)

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sad to hear you burned your face, who knew cinnamon had that kind of power! I'm always seeing masks and scrubs on blogs and am always hesitant to try them, I had a similar incident with a honey mask back in college!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks painful! I have very sensitive skin, so I'm very careful about what I put on it. I've had my share of skin disasters. So glad that the coconut oil helped your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. haha you totally freaked me out for a moment! sounds like a good mask! i use this awesome exfoliator that peels the extra skin from your face. it's amazing. it's korean.

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love posts like this, that show the ugly truth about something without disregarding the positives. You're absolutely right, always do your own research!

    Emily Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my that burning skin cinnamon experience sounds horrible. congrats on being number 1 on best local fashion blogs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW!! THis is so awesome to know you can whip up these face ingredients at home. lol@ your The Rock caption. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oooooo man. This looks like it hurt bad. I would totally do the same thing. I would convince myself that the "burn" was working some sort of amazing magic on my skin. You know, beauty is pain mentality. I love that you posted this- pictures and all. You rock.

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG I just finished doing this same mask with cinnamon and not even a minute after I put it on it started to burn horrible. I washed it off right away and goggled to see if this is normal and came across this post. I put coconut oil right after just like you did but it still hurts a lot. I might put yogurt on for a little to cool down my face. I'll definitely try nutmeg next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I decided to pamper myself before I went back to school tomorrow. I didn't do the exact same mask but it was a sheet mask that I whipped up and needed cinnamon in it. I was the exact same and thought that the burn just meant it was working but after a minute, the little acne that I have on my forehead, was burning quite badly . I took it off and saw how red my face was. I ended up washing my face a second time and moisturised the daylights out of my skin along with putting on aloe Vera. I'm now typing this with my face in front of a fan because my skin is hot! I really hope it can go down by tomorrow so fingers crossed that it will. Thanks for putting up this post because (hopefully) some people will do their research and won't just trust a beauty gurus word.

    ReplyDelete