Tuesday, June 12, 2012

bird.i.y.: tuesday (rolodex) remix

ok ok ok. so it's not the typical tuesday remix. but in keeping with remixing something, i decided to do a little diy remix post! now please keep in mind that i am the queen of brilliant ideas and poor execution. i figure i can pat myself on the back for my creative talent as long as i tone it down a little with my actual ability. and it's not even my ability to do these things that is lacking, it's my patience for the project. i will admit that i have no patience when it comes to diy. i want it done and i want it done now. and that's not good for diy projects...which is why i have so many poorly executed projects all around my house!

anyways, on to my diy. i was walking through my office a few months ago and saw a vintage round rolodex in someone's office. i immediately wanted one, and emailed my mom and nora with the once a week emails we send each other saying, "if you ever see [insert weekly must-have] at the thrift store, please buy it for me. i promise i'll pay you back." and sure enough, because my mom goes to the thrift store every tuesday (senior discount day!), she found me this fabulous vintage rolodex. and then it sat on my table for about two months, until saturday when i decided i needed to do something productive. partly because i felt a little lazy and partly because i knew i wanted to fill some of our remix voids with diy posts.

onto the remix!

the item

i started by applying a very scientifically studied protective cover to make sure i only got paint on the parts that i wanted to get paint on.

scientific protective cover courtesy of walmart
then i painted. not one, not two, not three, but four coats. who said i didn't have any patience? (perhaps a beer or two were drunk in between coats.)


up next, i peeled off the (scientific) protective cover...

and pulled out the trusty 36 pack of permanent markers to create name cards!


i then cut out old baby pictures that i meant to put in an album one day.



i continued for eva. (by now chris was also having a beer with me.)




and i couldn't forget their furry brother!



then i had to clean it up as best i could. this meant scraping any paint that got underneath the (not so) scientific cover with my fingernail to get it off the rolodex. this process is also very scientific. i'm pretty sure it is what monet did when he messed up a water lily.

of course, i had to position it in a way that won't show that crappy paint job i did. some day i will fill it up with pictures and funny quotes from the kids throughout the years. because my kids are pretty darn cute. they are also amazingly funny and witty (they get that from me). (their patience for diy they get from their father.)


 have a great day!!

xo,
megan bird


33 comments:

  1. This is the cutest idea ever - love it, and it looks awesome!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scientific protective cover is about as science-y as using a book as a level... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome idea! Productivity AND beer? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it - the cover is so the way I'd do it (versus my husband, who would methodically and carefully cover every part that shouldn't be painted). I like fast diys too:) And I love the paint color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative project! It turned out really well - you're super crafty and can do that while drinking beer?? Color me double impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a cool idea!! I really love it and your paint job is not too bad at all! Cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best DIY instructions I have read to date. You are too funny! I too have little patience with DIY projects but I still find myself doing them all the time.

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesome idea-- it turned out great!! And now of course all I want is to find a vintage Rolodex of my own... shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fun idea...I am constantly looking for creative ways to display pictures since I'm not much of a scrapbooker.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really cute. I like the blue paint that you picked. i think it would be fun to do something similar with travel photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "i am the queen of brilliant ideas and poor execution" You are too funny! I have the same problem when it comes to DIY probably why I have done very few diy projects. I think it came out pretty good tho no thanks to that scientific cover eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea. Wow, hair color and painting. You are brave! I usually am so messy with both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun idea! I bet it is a blast to flip through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love it what you did with that! I would NEVER think of that idea (this is why I love blogs). The blue is such a cute color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's very clever I like the idea of a revolving photoframe, but I've never heard of a rolodex- what is it?! Love the scientific covering!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea! It is so creative!

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I like the remix, I wouldn't have thought to do that! I also really like the blue colour you painted it, and the photos you used :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always wanted to get one of my mom one of these. The color came out good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a cute idea! I love it!

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love this! it's so sweet and fun. and totally doable for a non-artsy-craftsy person like myself!!!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy heck! This is the cutest idea ever! Your kids are going to look back on this one day and thank you! I may have to steal this from you!!
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is so great idea and now it looks so super cute. Love this shade of blue.

    xoxo Ra

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great idea! I like how you can keep adding to it too. Hmmm - think I have a rolodex somewhere ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a really wonderful idea and it sounds like you and I have a similar approach to DIY. I have been making carrick knot bracelets out of any string or cord that comes to hand all summer long...they take all of 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cool idea! Love the end result, now it's sentimental & practical

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun idea! I love the idea of an old rolodex - why do I find it romantic? Ha...

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. awwww so sweet (:

    xAnna
    fairytalefrocks.blogspot.com

    ps. Join my giveaway and win the most beautiful sapphire necklace!
    http://fairytalefrocks.blogspot.nl/2012/06/giveaway-north-way-studio.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute idea! I love the paint choice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Megan I had to kill my last message as I am trying to be a perfectionist about my spelling. Anyway, doesn't it feel great to finally execute a diy that you have swirling around in your head. This is practical and genius. Your kids are adorable including desi. Cute vignette! dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete