Wednesday, February 15, 2012

sometimes romance is going to sleep at 8:30

i have mentioned before that i really do love valentine's day. it's a fun holiday, and especially with the kids, we have a ton of fun with it. chris and i have always had a low-key night on valentine's day. we usually just end up making presents for each other, or buying presents from the kids, rather than ourselves. but, when i found this clock, i knew i had to buy it for him. and of course, he gets mad if i buy him a present and don't tell him (he never wants to be unprepared), so i told him i got him just a little something. and then he decided to out-do me like crazy.

the kids and i woke up to cards and chocolates at the breakfast table (i got chocolate-dipped pretzels ~ my fave) that chris had snuck there while we were sleeping. i tried my best to origami some money for the kids myself, but this is the best i could do (and i won't even tell you how long it took me to make this).
i then made the kiddos breakfast. i started to make heart-shaped pancakes, but then i promptly forgot and they turned into a big burned mess, so i came up with the next best thing.
we all went to work and school, and when i came home, i came home to the smell of a delicious dinner cooking and this:
ruh-roh, desi (our dog) ate all of eva's candy. luckily, he has an iron stomach and can eat chocolate without it affecting him. eva, on the other hand, didn't fare so well.

the delicious dinner i smelled was a veggie pot pie. chris accidentally bought a pie crust with lard in it (i'm a vegetarian), so he was forced to make crust by hand. bless his heart.
chris actually said to me, "well, aren't you going to take a picture of it?" true blogger husband!
sweet little henry made this card. i think he is a creative genius!
 

we put the kids to bed, and chris had a whole night of cheese and wine planned. i sat on the bed for a minute and realized that he had bought us a memory foam topper as a dual valentine's gift. i called him up and said, "would you be mad if i said all i want to do is lay in bed and relax?" and he said, "no! thank god you asked...i am exhausted!" (it was tuesday, after all!) so, we lay down in our dream cloud of a bed and watched smash together. oh, and he gave me this:

so i say, sometimes romance isn't all that it's cracked up to me. for me, watching smash on a cozy bed, next to the one you love is the pure definition of happiness.

i hope you all had a great valentine's day!
xo,
megan bird

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great evening to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love that he made you take a picture! I can relate.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a perfect Valentines Day, to me! :)

    www.petiteonapenny.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the best guy! Glad you had a really nice day with your family. I am so wowed by the card Henry made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious! www.casualglamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh the veggie pot pie looks absolutely delicious! I agree with you, cosying up in bed and watching a film is just so nice, nothing compares! Ps - I love your attempt at making the money into a little heart shape :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a nice mellow evening, actually. holidays become all about the kids anyway. so funny that he asked to photograph the dinner. looks delicious tho!!

    [oomph.]
    Share the Love - Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an Ohio necklace! I wonder if we can find a girl with a necklace in every state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sounds perfectly romantic, & what true love is & can be: thoughtful, caring, at times comical, with some unexpected moments thrown in. it's nice to have an acknowledgement & acceptance of our true selves. i've been a vegetarian since 9th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like absolute perfection and I loooove the necklace! So cute! PS-do you have a vegetarian pie crust recipe you like? I found a veggie pot pie recipe I wanted to try and got all the ingredients for-except a crust! Bahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello doll!

    thanks a lot for visiting and commenting my blog. So glad I met yours as well. It's very interesting and I really identify myself with it! Totally hooked and following! I'd love if you followed back!

    kisses,

    http://cottoncandy-peaches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww... What a sweet hubby and sweet family. Sounds like a beautiful day!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a great day. Henry's card is awesome. Pot pie is awesome. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Washington state necklace, thanks for the reminder!
    --TS
    http://thriftedshift.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just about the most romantic Valentine's Day that I could think of!!! I did not know that you were a vegetarian and I am glad that puppy dog is ok. Henry is very creative....I am impressed with his genius. I am just catching up on your posts...dawn Suitcase Vignettes. p.s. Congratulations on over 500 followers, you both work so hard and are so diligent, fun, hip, and gorgeous so you deserve it. Lots of love to you both. Dawn xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so incredibly sweet! What a guy you have, he sounds like one to hold onto (which, obviously, you have haha). And Henry's an artistic genius! All of my cards as a child consisted of taking ten crayons in my hand at once and drawing waves all over a single cardboard page (I never even folded them). I grew out of that phase a year or two ago. So great that you're surrounded by such an amazing family with so much love for vday (and all year round for that matter)!

    Alexandra xo

    http://tovogueorbust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really seems like you had the best Valentine's day ever, I'm really glad for you!

    Thanks for the comment you left on my post I really appreciated it, maybe follow each other's both with GFC and bloglovin? It would be great!
    Kiss

    http://tati-loves-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really, super duper sweet. I love this post :) I agree, Valentine's day and romance doesn't need to be all about flowers/gifts/going out/etc, it's just about appreciating who you're with and being happy. He handmade pie crust for you? *Swoon* I'm a vegetarian too so that especially made my heart soar!! :D

    ReplyDelete