Friday, February 24, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): twister cow

i will start this post off by saying how much i love my man. he is wonderful in so many ways. but cooking efficiently is not one of them. i love to cook, so i am usually the one who makes all the meals in the house. but without a doubt, three holidays per year (valentine's day, my birthday and mother's day), he will cook dinner for me.


for my birthday, i decided that i wanted to stay home and have a family dinner. we will go out for the weekend, but on my actual birthday, i wanted to be surrounded by my lovely family. so chris decided to cook dinner. he chose enchiladas (which by the way, he calls ANNE-chiladas said in his best sarah palin accent).


we got home at about 5:30, and he told me to relax – that he would take care of dinner. so the kids and i went upstairs, laid on the bed and relaxed.


well, i fell asleep... i woke up and realized it was 7:00 and the kids hadn't eaten AND it was their bedtime, and chris was nowhere close to being done cooking. the kitchen looked like the cow from the movie twister had spun through and sprayed sauce and flour all over. counter tops were covered, both kitchen sinks were literally full of dishes, chris was sweating...it was very intense.

so i made the kids a quick meal, read to them, sang to them, tucked them in, waited about 10 more minutes...and then the food was ready. and there were about 40 enchiladas.

dress ~ birthday gift, TJ Maxx
belt ~ thrifted
booties ~ swap
tights ~ Target
earrings ~ F21
bracelets ~ Dots, vintage, thrifted

so i didn't get to have that family meal, but that's ok. chris is a dear for trying, and i got to spend some quality time with both the kids and with chris, so it all turned out wonderfully. especially since it was my birthday, so i didn't have to clean the kitchen (which looked a little like this)...

next time he cooks, i will make sure to take a real picture.

*thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes...it was a great day that was made better by all of your kind words!*
happy friday!
xo,
megan bird

36 comments:

  1. Haha my husband kind of does that too. :) It is always delicious but always takes way longer than we think it will. No complains though! Adorable dress by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this birthday story Megan. You look beautiful. I would go to TJ Maxx right now but I know I won't find that amazing thrifted belt to go with the amazing birthday dress there. Gorgeous, love the boots with it. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo Chris is a doll for making Annechiladas. I don't know if I have ever had one. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this look! it is one of my favorites this week! hahah how sweet and funny your husband is xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great in this dress and that little bow is so cute :)

    Haha, this story made me laugh. You two are really sweet, and I'm sure the ANNE-chiladas were worth the wait (and mess). Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh too funny! Thankfully for me, my hubby is good at cooking, I should rent him out, lol!!

    Your dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is absolutely adorable and so pretty on you! Happy belated birthday! Yay for February birthdays (mine was the 6th)! My fiance doesn't cook either, but after tasting his attempts, I think I prefer it that way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. megan were the enchiladas good? what kind were they? spinach & cheese enchiladas are my fave. very pretty party girl outfit. my guy is wonderful too, but he doesn't like to clean the counters. it drives me more wackadoo, than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute cute outfit! i love it! and thank you for your sweet comment! i hope you're having a great friday!

    drop by allister bee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHA! That is a wonderful story, I am sorry you didn't get the dinner you wanted. I love guys in the kitchen stories. One of my favorites from my roomate in college was "Ross this pasta is like crunchy" a reply with "Oh thats how I thought you liked it".

    BTW really cute dress. Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha awwww, what a darling man!
    Were the enchiladas good? :]
    Oh and I adore your dress

    xoxo Mama Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lace dress is so sweetly romantic on you! Love the bow. Sounds like you had quite the evening, oh my heavens...and lots of enchiladas!

    <3 cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ed doesn't get in the kitchen very often, but when he does it takes him a million years to get anything done - usually because he's such a clean freak that he spends all his time cleaning up after himself.

    You look as cute as ever!
    cate @ wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahahahah that's amazing. i can totally imagine my husband doing that. or me making an over complicated meal and everyone falling asleep before i'm done. that's REALLY funny though.

    it's cute that he tried. and happy birthday!

    i love your dress - it's quite adorable on you with the booties and all.

    and you have really good hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness, well at least he tried :)

    Stop by and enter my Vedette giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This story sounds about right!!! I'm glad your birthday was a good one!!~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, those sound like some epic enchiladas. :) Very sweet of him to cook for you. :) Cute dress and love that you accessorized with some bright bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty lace dress! Ooops! I guess it's the thought that counts and since you didn't have to clean the mess, I think it's an overall success!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha, funny little story ... love love that dress b the way!! happy birthday as well!!
    jess
    www.jesscauseblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you look precious! I love the dress and how your hair is :)

    Haha, what a sweetie for trying! Kyle doesn't cook either, same issues. But, always fun stories!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I got the cardigan I'm wearing about a month ago so I'm not sure if it's still at Old Navy but you could try!

    Love this dress by the way, I can't believe it's from TJ Maxx! Too cute.

    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny! Too many anne-chiladas! Happy Birthday! I love that you look like a vintage lacy present!
    --TS
    http://thriftedshift.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cooking story is hilarious (and super sweet)! And you are adorable. Your birthday ensemble is perfect! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. So nice of you to stop in! I'm so happy you did, because I love your blog already!
    ~Natasha
    http://papercrowns.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this dress; you definitely rock it very well! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. great contrast with this sweet dress and booties!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely dress. And looks like you had a great bday! I agree memories withbloved ones are priceless! Thanks for stopping by... Wanna follow thru GFC, will follow back. Keep visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so cute :D I am now following you and maybe you could follow my blog back if you like it?

    http://babyrouge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. GORGEOUS dress! and props to your husband for trying :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. That dress is very pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just enjoyed reading your post and happy belated birthday! You look lovely in your dress :) xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete