Thursday, January 19, 2012

globe trotter: a sneak into my neurosis

so let's talk about my globes. not those globes, pervs...my collection of old, out-of-date globes with yugoslavia, czechoslovakia and the u.s.s.r. still on them. i found one about a year ago and fell in love. i had plans to cover it in chalkboard paint, but chris wouldn't allow it ("it's a piece of history, megan!") so i sat it next to our fireplace and was happy....and then i found another one a week later. and another one, and another one, and...you get it.

i've decided to go for it and let you all into my little crazy world. i was a little scared to do this post, because it really does make me look like crazy globe lady. but like nora said to me, "you are a crazy globe lady. but in a good way." sisters can rationalize anything, right?

so, here are my globes in all their glory (again, not those globes, sickos). (there's no glory in those globes.)

this is my first globe. he wobbled a little until chris fixed him up. and now he sits proudly at the fireplace like a good little boy.
this is one of my favorites with her bright coloring and wood base. you might recognize her from our etsy pictures. she fits so perfectly in our front entryway.
is it weird that i have given gender to my globes?

this one is a little more boring to me. i prefer a more colorful globe. but when you own as many as i do, you need to mix it up a little. he sits on the liquor cabinet and protects our vodka, along with his friends button bottle boy, antique insulator man and the pear-shaped woman.
this pretty little lady sits on top of my shoe armoire (yes, i have an armoire full of shoes. do you not know me yet?) she is close friends with the bobby hat we bought for henry in england..and what's that? why yes, it is a picture that my dad painted of my older sister and me as children. and yes, that is exactly what we looked like. ok, maybe my head wasn't that much bigger than hers.
this trio of globes is my favorite placement of globes in the house. they sit atop the hutch in our dining room, right next to the amazing vintage farm aid poster with willie's picture on it. yes, i love me some willie nelson...and a trio of globes.
this little buddy watches over henry while he sleeps. the pig used to do it for us, but he got lazy. so now he just holds all of henry's quarters and the globe stays up nights.
don't forget the kids! my one problem  (one problem?) is that i keep buying globes in the same size. i need (yes, need) a few smaller ones. the little baby in the corner also acts as a bank. and while not an actual globe, the pencil holder sitting next to sugar there is pretty fun, too!
so there you have it. do you think i'm crazy? if you don't, thank you...but then i should be honest and tell you there is one more globe in my house. but i don't love it as much, so i didn't photograph it. so, counting the pencil holder, that means i own 11 globes. i had never counted them until now. somehow not knowing exactly how many i had made it less crazy (the first step is admitting you have a problem). nothing like a blog post to call you out on your own crazy shit.

do you have any crazy collections? if so, please share. i don't want to be alone in this.

xo,
megan bird

23 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I have one on my bar too and maps around! Love them!

    Www.behindtheleopardglasses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, yeah you're crazy. crazy awesome. i love globes, too! they're all so different and it's interesting to see how the world changes over the years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to have collections, well except maybe, for tie necklaces.

    But now I know why I can't thrift a globe with USSR still on it. They are all at your house!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to call you crazy globe lady from now but only in the most awesome of ways! I collect vintage deer and other assorted woodland creatures with large eyes-I have no room to judge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you!!!! I am singing and I want you to sing along with me right now..."he's got the whole world in His hands, "he's got the whole world in His hands.....I hope you know this song. I love this post, I love your style and your globes. I have 2 globes. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have one globe, but it's so special I feel like I should let you, a true appreciator of globes, have it. It's from 1964 and was made for the blind so you can feel all the lines of latitude and longitude, rivers, mountains, etc. It's amazing and I love it so much!

    You can see it here: http://futurelint.blogspot.com/2010/03/uncharacteristically-black-outfit-and.html

    I collect milk glass, and things involving men smoking pipes (accidentally), and clocks (sort of) among a million other things. I collect STUFF I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love your living room! oddly enough, i also have that tray you have at the bottom of the table, and i (kind of) collect milk glass (but that's for another post). i also inadvertantly keep buying clocks, but they are useful, so i don't feel bad about that.
      men smoking pipes? i have never heard that one, but i love it!

      Delete
  7. I love your globes! Such a fun collection. I have collected porcelain dolls my whole life but need a place for all of them. I have a feeling one day I will be known as the crazy doll lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your globe collection! They are nostalgic. I don't think the history teachers have globes in the classroom anymore. I always thought they were intriguing. They really fit with the vintage aesthetic of your home.

    Besides clothing, shoes and handbags, I have a crazy collection of designer Barbies. The collection started in my childhood and continued for years and years. I think I have 50. I'd like to display my favorites one of these days. But I need a curio cabinet to keep them clean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely understand your craziness! Everytime I go to Home Goods I always seem to find an amazingly beautiful globe that I try & try to convince my boyfriend to let me buy but he's "positive" it would look ridiculous in our house. :( Party-pooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just show him this post, and ask him, would you rather have 11??? you can tell him i said that a globe never looks ridiculous anywhere. plus, they are educational, so there's always that angle!

      Delete
  10. Those are a lot of globes! Old globes bring back fond memories of elementary school for me, and they are pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the cabinet in that last photo! So perfectly shabby-chic.

    -Lauren
    www.petiteonapenny.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your collection! I have one globe in my bedroom and every time I come across one in a store I'm always tempted to start a collection. Used to have several framed old maps, but had to downsize when I moved.

    I heart thrifting! Nothing like extending your budget, just takes a bit more time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your globes! (Not those, sicko.) Yes, I have a collection of metal lunchboxes and also Archie Smuckers glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love collections! Globes are really fun, even though I have none. :-) I collect bronze frogs, and now I might have to do a post on that. Thanks for sharing, I loved seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha...so cute. You have so many globes in your house, looks like you know the world map really well.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great! Really lovely objects, and I can't help but adore anything which has history.

    I collect snowglobes. :) They are round as well! :D

    I also made a lovely photoshoot of the ones I have and posted about them in the summer, and realised I'm much better at photographing snowglobes than my outfits. Sigh. Maybe I should have a snowglobe blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha you are too funny! I think the globes are awesome :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're not crazy, pretty adorable though, for sure :) I really like your first globe the best, they're a cool thing to collect. I collect rather morbid things like animal bones and furs (what can I say, country girl, daughter to a hunter), but I also collect anything mushroom-themed, just because mushrooms are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ohmygosh! I love this post - I'm definitely a fellow map {or globe} nerd! My collection isn't as nice as yours but I've been scouring thrift shops for them lately. I'm also planning on a few map related DIY projects {thanks pinterest!}. I do have a couple other collections that have been going strong for a few years - my moose collection and my giraffe collection. Lol...Idk. :P

    -Kassie

    ReplyDelete
  20. That baby one in the bottom photo is totally my fave... so tiny, so cute!

    ReplyDelete