Thursday, December 22, 2011

curious birds: home for the holidays

i have always lived where i grew up (literally never more than 10 miles from my childhood home), so the title of this post isn't very accurate. well, it is, but i didn't have to travel to be "home" for the holidays. i have always said that if i were to move to another state or country, my whole family would have to move with me. and by whole family, i mean all 19 of us...sisters, brothers-in-law, nieces, nephews, moms and dads. and now, i wouldn't leave unless chris' family moved with us, too, because they are as much my family as my sisters and parents are. so basically what i'm saying is that we would have to start a little commune in order for me to leave this great state of minnesota. (and then we'd probably all get sick of each other, and they would no longer want me as their leader, and the whole commune would go downhill from there.)
while most of my family lives within that same 10-mile radius, we do have one sister who lives in las vegas. we still do family dinners and celebrate many holidays without her, but there is something so different about having the whole family together for christmas. 
she is flying home tonight and will be home all next week. and that is what christmas means to me...the whole family being home and together and having fun. 
presents are nice, the food and wine is always a nice addition, and of course, who doesn't love christmas cookies??? but, being home for the holidays is what's most important to me. to me, home is where my family is...and this year, we will all be home together.
what do the holidays mean to you?
all of the pictures are thrifted items from our home
whatever they mean to you, i hope you enjoy them! may they be filled with love and health and happiness!
xoxo,
megan bird

12 comments:

  1. All those thrifted items are so cute! My fiancee is working a 12 hour shift on Christmas day so I am spending the day with my mum, dad and brother then he is joining us in the evening. I did the same last year, but next year will be our first year as a married couple and he won't be working. Have a lovely Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays to me are: drinking too much at the in-laws, eating too much in general, sobbing incoherently at anything even remotely sappy, and shopping...for myself. I'm a Christmas train wreck!

    I *love* all your thrifted home decor treasures. Every time I'm at your house I kind of just want to wander around and look at stuff. It's basically a well-curated gallery of fabulous, vintage Americana.

    And YES. We need to hang out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I have that black, round state tin, but for Colorado when I lived there a couple years ago. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your home decor! I live in an older 50's/60's style house and am always looking for fun things like that to keep the retro vibe!

    The holidays mean to me spending time with those I love...super sappy right? But I have no shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I love this!!!! I know what you mean - I'm the only one in MN - but WI isn't too far :)

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love! Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these needle points... I so wish I was crafty! I've lived in Montana my whole life (with the exception of a few study abroads in college) but my whole fam is here so I hear ya about the difficulty of ever leaving:) Happy Holidays! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm glad to find someone who has lived in the same spot all their life. I have too, and although I'm only 21, I always feel like people judge me because I've never lived anywhere else. I'm sure I'll move one day...but what's so bad about sticking to one place if you like it? MN is wonderful, after all.

    Anyway, I'm glad you get your WHOLE family to be home this year. Hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great holiday. These photos make me want to start cross-stitching again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww glad most of your fam lives within 10 miles radius! i agree, seeing your entire family for the holidays is truly a blessing. home is wear the heart is!

    holidays is a time for me to get together with the people that mean the most to me, my family of course :)

    happy holidays!!

    alex
    http://www.carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. since we moved states away, we always come home for christmas! merry happy joy joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have lived between nj and phila...they are both home to me since I am 10 minutes from the bridge to Phila and I was born there. At heart I am a Jersey Girl Haaaay! Love the little framed needlepoints...sweet. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete