Saturday, October 1, 2011

winner winner! farm fresh dinner!

jim, mimi and i had such a lovely day! this morning we headed out to one of my best friend, sally's, farm to press apples into cider. oh my gosh you guys, this cider is so delicious. and it is just apples! nothing added. love it. while we were there sally let me roam her fields of veggies and fill a box to the brim. fresh farm veggies! nothing better. tonight for dinner i decided to experiment a little and make something i have never made. it turned out pretty yummy, so i thought i would share! i used fresh eggplant and tomatoes from the farm. thanks, sally!!!


i sliced the eggplant into medallions, dipped them into a mixture of two eggs whisked with a tablespoon of water, and then into a mixture of breadcrumbs and fresh parmesan. then i baked them in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.



while the eggplant is baking, get the other ingredients ready. i used a jar of pasta sauce for convenience, but you could obviously make your own. any type of pasta will work, just use your favorite kind. i also sliced up some fresh mozzarella and two small tomatoes. once the eggplant is cooked, layer everything into a baking pan, like so:


i, of course, sprinkled a bit more cheese on top for good measure.
bake this for another 10 minutes in the 375 degree oven. while this bakes, cook and drain the pasta.

when the eggplant comes out it will looks like this...

dish up some pasta and spoon the eggplant mixture right on top. cheesy, melty goodness.

then, feed your family. they will be happy.

jim clearly loves having his photo taken.


mimi kept asking for more! yay!

simple, healthy, good. does anyone have an eggplant recipe that they love? i have a couple more that i am itching to use!

i hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

xoxo, nora bird












4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I think a trip to my local farmer's market is needed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!! This loks amazing. You don't even know the depths of my love for anything with that amount of cheese.

    As far as eggplant goes, I've been super obsessed with Grilled Cheese Social, and she posted an amazing sandwich awhile ago that features an eggplant caponata! I died the instant I saw it.

    http://www.grilledcheesesocial.com/2011/08/cool-dude-cappy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora I love, love eggplant. I will have to try this. Looks so delicious. I have to share my pasta fagiola recipe. It was sooo good. Thanks for sharing this. Making me so hungry I had to read it again...Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, farm fresh apple cider and eggplant! Eggplant is one of those veggies that I can never seem to get quite right, I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete