Wednesday, October 5, 2011

whales vs. mermaids

this post has been circulating around facebook and we thought it was so fantastic that we wanted to share...

A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin and beautiful woman. The caption was "This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?"

The story goes, a woman (of clothing size unknown) answered the following way:

"Dear people, whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans), they are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness. They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns. They swim all day and travel to fantastic places like Patagonia, the Barents Sea or the coral reefs of Polynesia. They sing incredibly well and sometimes even are on cds. They are impressive and dearly loved animals, which everyone defend and admires.

Mermaids do not exist.

But if they existed, they would line up to see a psychologist because of a problem of split personality: woman or fish? They would have no sex life and could not bear children. Yes, they would be lovely, but lonely and sad. And, who wants a girl that smells like fish by his side?

Without a doubt, I'd rather be a whale.

At a time when the media tells us that only thin is beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.

We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies. We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated. Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?! "





(The girl on the picture is French model Tara Lynn)
 
no, it's not an original post, so we apologize for that. but this really spoke to us and we wanted to share! 
 
xoxo,
two birds

ps. the winner of our giveaway is anna! yay! we can't wait to send you your goodies!

9 comments:

  1. I am a whale. I have never heard this so it is original for me. Thank you for posting. How wise is the person that responded to this...fantastic. Dawn
    Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing! If only more of the world saw things that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool post. I hadn't heard this either, but glad I have now. I have never been a "mermaid" but I have wished I was many, many times. It's so hard to get that picture out of my mind. It wasn't put there over night and won't leave that quickly either. Things like this post do help though...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lady's response is so moving it gave me chills! I haven't heard of this before (first of all what an awful and insulting marketing strategy from the gym!) but I think it's such a beautiful way to see oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed this post. I was just cursing myself this week for eating AMAZINGLY delicious Trader Joe's cannolies everyday with lunch. I agree, I would rather be a whale any day. A whale who gets to eat, drink, and be merry.

    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on facebook too, but you're right, it is worth being shared again and again. I love the message. I'm not a whale, and I'm certainly no mermaid either, but believe beauty is where you find it. Let's celebrate who we are, how we live and ignore these ridiculous beauty myths and insulting marketing campaigns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this for the first time also! Thanks for sharing. Who brings out that kind of campaigns... Unbelievable. I love the message that every woman should enjoy their lives with their loved ones without constant thinking of how they look.

    ReplyDelete