Monday, October 3, 2011

inspiration monday: four to a bed

we went camping this weekend. we have gotten quite a bit of mileage on the ol' scamp over the summer. we figure this was probably our last hurrah until next summer (but you never know). we went to northern wisconsin, right off of lake superior. it was a gorgeous weekend, and we had the best time. i knew the weather was supposed to be pretty nice, but i also knew that you never know when you're that far north. so, i packed hats, sweatshirts, extra blankets, etc. however, i did not quite think about the logistics of sleeping. i accidentally signed up up for a non-electrical spot, so we only had the generator in the scamp, which is only good when you need lights and a very not-cool refrigerator (not cool, refrigerator, not cool). night number one decided to dip below freezing. and here we were in a scamp, freezing our butts off. chris and i were scared that the kids would get too cold, so we pulled them into bed with us, like a kid sandwich (parents are the bread!). keep in mind that this bed doubles as a kitchen table in its spare time. it's no luxury waterbed or anything super fancy like that. it's a table with cushions on top of it, and it's full sized. so we had four people, two blankets (why we didn't pull more blankets over, i don't know...oh wait, i do....no one wanted to get out of the heat of the bed to grab more ~ even if it meant warmth), a full-size table/bed and one snuggly family. oh, and did i mention we all slept with winter hats on? mine was a beret, so i was sleeping in style.

night number two, we bought a inside-safe propane heater, but i was too scared to leave it running (i didn't want my dogs tail to start on fire), so chris was a super genius and threw some boulders into the fire and brought them inside with us when we went to bed. instant scamp sauna. scauna, if you will. we stayed warm all night long!

this week's inspiration was a choose your own adventure. and nora and i chose two different ones (turn to page 49 if you choose nora, and turn to page 22 if you choose megan). i went with audrina's casual look, while nora opted for cat's cool-cat look (meow).

megan bird





flannel ~ vintage, thrifted
tank ~ Target, thrifted
jeggings ~ H&M
booties ~ Nordstrom Rack
belt ~ vintage, thrifted
earrings ~ F21

nora bird





blazer ~ J Crew, swap
shirt ~ Banana Republic, swap
jeans ~ F21
scarf ~ gift from mom
shoes ~ F21
necklace ~ gift from l'il sis, izzy


happy monday, all. i hope you all stayed nice and warm over the weekend!

xoxo,
megan bird

PS do you love the oversized crocheted scarf trend? don't forget to sign up for our giveaway to win one, along with an adorable vintage necklace and purse!!! click here to enter!

21 comments:

  1. Haha omg choose your own adventure, seriously cracked me up. You guys are awesome. Love your interpretations of each look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't feel like wearing plaid, or a blazer today ladies...but I did wear something like this last week, thought I would share. Btw, Nora, that hair is stunning on you! I've been thinking of changing my hair for awhile now (bangs, gasp) you may have given me a different type of "inspiration" on this Monday! Change your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this one fun getting to choose! Nora, love the scarf and light blue blazer and Megan, love how you belted that flannel! keeps it grungy but with shape and style (unlike my flannel days in college)

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. megan, I like how your wear your shirt, with lots of attitude! Very cute. The belt is really fun, didn't think of that. I was trying on my husband's shirt and it looked like PJs on me. So, a belt is a great idea to hold the shirt together. Nora's outfit is so parisian chic. Love the scarf, and the pretty necklace. Thanks for the choices, it was fun.

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the looks and some more inspiration. The idea of heated rocks is brilliant for staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I'm cold just thinking about your weekend! Sounds like crazy fun, though! :)

    You both look great. Making me think about flannel...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always happy when scarves are in style, because my neck gets cold so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the choose your own adventure today :)

    Megan, you are a girl after my own style...love the jacket you're rocking in this outfit!

    And Nora, you look fabulously chic. I love that scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love how Megan belted her plaid shirt and I also really like how Nora has the scarf hanging out from under the blazer. Adorable, as always!
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally I managed to get my inspiration Monday link here. :) I really like the shoes in both of your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look great in plaid I think! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the green under megan's plaid shirt, what a perfect contrast! and the color's of nora's blazer and scarf are SO perfect together

    ReplyDelete
  13. You two. Megan, you rock a belt like no other. Nora, that blazer looks awesome with your new 'do. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your looks - plaids and blazers are definitely a Fall favorite of mine. And having three choices of inspiration was perfecto! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You ladies are such troopers- camping in the cold! Bravo- I'm sure it builds character! Great looks- so much fun that we had a choice this weekend- I picked the Cat outfit since I liked its simplicity and elegance but Megan's take on Audrina is pretty rocking too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the "choose your own adventure" Inspiration Monday today (and I loved those books too!). That flannel shirt is totally transformed by the belt--what a great idea! And Nora, I love the mix of patterns in your scarf and top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You two are always incredible! I like the casual vs uptown look the two of you put together.
    Stop by I've got a new link up and it's all about boots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. two lovely birds,so charming,and sophiscated,great taste for fashion

    romwe streetfashion blog,pay a visit?kisses

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just catching up from yesterday, had to work last night. Thanks for hosting IM. Megan that green is gorgeous on you and I don't know what you are doing differently with your make-up, hair, lighting but it is working beautifully. Great outfit on you. Nora, these pastel blue tones work so well together and that scarf is gorgeous paired with the bird pendant. Just so sweet and pretty. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the boots and the bird necklace! Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Using warm stones under bedding is a survival technique in cold areas actually hah, so way to use that to keep warm in your scamp.

    I spent 4 nights camping while at a music festival this summer and the nights were absolutely FRIGID. All we had was one blanket to lay over the air mattress, and my boyfriend's sleeping bag. Because he'd insisted we wouldn't need more blankets *sigh* I froze hah. Slept in most of my clothes to stay somewhat warm. Nice hot rocks wouldn't been awesome.

    ReplyDelete