Friday, October 21, 2011

frugal feathers: lacking curves

hello, all! happy happy friday! i have two little shout outs this morning. first off, our It's A Date! *Hunt and Gather* sale kicks off tonight! happy hour and vintage? yes, please! if you are in the minneapolis area, we would love to see you! secondly, it is mimi's eighteen-month birthday today! crazy. a year and a half. and it has flown by! it feels like just yesterday that i was holding a brand new, teeny (not even six pounds!) newborn. now she is walking (running even!), talking...well, i'll just say it. she isn't a baby anymore. she's a kid. my amazing, awesome kid.

a few days old.

a few days ago.

so, i have an outfit post for you today, but i feel it needs a bit of an explanation. i have four sisters, three of whom were blessed with my mothers amazing curves. my oldest sister and i, however, inherited my dad's body. straight, no hips, flat butt, skinny legs. have you ever seen those late night infomercials selling the underwear with the built-in butt? i'm not going to say i have never thought about dialing that number (if you call now, you get a second one free!). and sadly, what little curves i used to have became smaller and/or saggier after my pregnancy. so, i was always jealous of my curvier sisters (still am, to be honest), but i have come to accept my body. there are worse problems than constantly having to hike up your pants (and underwear) throughout the day. i have embraced belts (do they make underwear belts?). i have learned to dress my body to create the illusion of curves. i have learned to do this, yes, but i do not always follow through. sometimes throwing on a loose, shapeless sack dress is just easier. it's like saying, hey world! nothing to see here! move along. i have quite a few of these in my closet. and whenever i see one while out thrifting i almost can't resist buying it. so, that is my long explanation for this dress.





dress- Lux, thrifted (Salvation Army), $3.99
tights- Target, thrifted (new in package), $0.99
boots- vintage, thrifted, $10

don't forget to enter our awesome giveaway!

xoxo, nora bird

20 comments:

  1. I have the same, straight body, with absolutely no butt. I feel for ya. But that dress is adorable. I'd totally be wearing it too:)
    cate@wildruffle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue tights and pixie haircut totally suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is amazing and awesome, and you are so lucky. :) I can't wait to hear her new words this weekend! Last time we hung out it was: keys! keys! keys! :) Cute dress, too! I still don't know what I am wearing tonight. Casual? Cocktail? Too many possibilities! See you soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your post too well. I almost wrote you an essay on my issues with that and envying the curves in my family that so meanly skipped right over me. I have learned to deal with it and dress appropriately but I have my days.
    You are beautiful and that dress is amazing! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am LOVING your haircut! It looks awesome on you! Plus, the dress and tights, fabulous! I am on the opposite end from you...I have curves and man what I don't do to try and tame them, even just a bit! You look great! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look adorable and I just love the polka dots on you...super cute look! Good for you for accepting the body you were give...you look lovely to be! Also, you are so right, it is amazing how quickly time seems to fly sometimes, especially with the little ones...she is darling!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never noticed anything except how super cute and fabulously stylish you look in everything! It's funny though because I just did a post about curves too last night...although in the opposite direction. Have you ever tried horizontal stripes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The grass is always greener eh? Super cute dress! And happy 18-month birthday to Mimi :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay, happy 18 months mimi!! i love that brand new picture of her in the crib with those bolsters at her sides and her arms nowhere to fit but UP. and the current pic? hello, little adorable version of jim!

    ps you look pretty cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this frock and the black and white.
    Thanks for commenting my blog. You guys have great style! Following!!
    --Annie
    newenglandromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. WORD! i'm the same. chicken legs, no waist or butt. meanwhile my sisters and mom have all the boobage and curves! oh wells...i think you still look great in your "sack", lol! love the blue pop.

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Us women are funny, i'd love to have a more slender figure, but i know what you mean about after kids, everything changes!! But you ALWAYS look fabulous. I always feel inspired after reading your posts :)
    And Your daughter is soooo cute! Happy 18months of wonderfulness to her.
    :)x
    Rachel
    http://yummymummysgalore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. adorable outfit, love the blues you put together :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have the cutest figure!!

    i'm the opposite...big butt, hips and thighs that definitely keep all the pants up! and most of the time i hate it. we are so funny - always wanting something different :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. well nora bird that is one cute kid! i happen to like your dress, & the way you styled it, with or without the curves, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mimi is so cute!! and I love your outfit xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. AH! I love this! I think you should embrace your lean and tall (are you tall? you look tall in these pics) because, especially with your pixie haircut, you've really got the mod style going on! Curvier women can't wear shift dresses - so...give it all you've got in my opinion! You've got the best of both worlds because you can always add a belt to create a curvy figure and you can also rock straight styles! Just my humble opinion :)

    http://somethingoldmeetssomethingnew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're adorable. I'm glad you've accepted your no curves. I've had to accept my curves. I HATED them from 13-21 but something changed and my life has improved drastically with the brain power that used to worry about curves going to more worthwhile things. Anyways, you look super cute with those polka dots and tights! And happy belated 18 month birthday to Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress looks so great on you! And it's funny to read that you are jealous of your sister's curves... I often wish I had some smaller curves (well, in the hip area). I guess that's just how it is, just like with people wanting to be blonde when they're brunette and vice versa :-)

    By the way... Happy belated birthday to Mimi! She is so cute!

    Sparkles And Flare

    ReplyDelete