Thursday, October 20, 2011

curious birds: skipping steps

i had a very interesting night the other night. ok, it wasn't that interesting, but for the sake of the blog, let's pretend it was. i was driving at night to run an errand. (ok, that errand included driving to a stranger's house who had left some vintage suitcases out for the garbage man. i knew i could make them cute, and i wanted to grab them during the day but i was too embarrassed to collect someone else's garbage in broad daylight.) so, thinking that all i would be doing was looting someone's garbage, i didn't get too dressed up. in fact, i just kept my jammies on. a pair of jammie shorts and a sweatshirt. and i'm pretty sure i didn't have a bra on. (tmi?) i gathered my suitcases and saw that chris has texted me, "can you grab some beer while you're out?" what? so...i was that lady who buys beer at night in her jammies. of course i had to explain to the ladies at the store why i was dressed the way i was (i didn't mention the looting), and they told me that i wasn't even close to being the worst offender. i bet liquor store employees get to see some pretty interesting stuff!

anyhow, after that long and interesting story, i got to thinking about what i'm willing to not do to go out in public (apparently a lot). and then, in conjunction with that story, i got super lazy the last few days and decided i didn't need to wash my hair. for five days. yep, i went five days without washing my hair. thank you dry shampoo! i emailed my sisters yesterday and asked them, "green or gross?" i got two greens and one gross. (one sister i didn't ask cause she never answers her emails.) but when i told a friend at work, she said, "yep, it's time to wash your hair. it's starting to look a little greasy." so today i washed my hair, but not before i took some pictures for you!!! 

so what i want to ask you is this...what are you willing to forgo in order to make yourself presentable? makeup? day clothes? a shower? i will go out without makeup some days. i clearly will go out without washing my hair. i do take a shower every day (except the occasional lazy sunday). and i try to wear appropriate clothing when i'm out. so, i guess i forgo makeup and shampoo. how about you? i'm interested to hear your answers! and without further adieu, my greazzzzy hair...

shirt ~ Target, thrifted
sweater ~ vintage, thrifted
leggings ~ Walmart
belt ~ vintage, garage sale
boots ~ thrifted
earrings ~ F21
and don't forget about our awesome giveaway! you can have up to three chances to win!!! check it out here!
happy almost friday!
xoxo,
megan bird

26 comments:

  1. I don't normally wear makeup so I guess I forego that all the time. I'll skip washing my hair for two or three days, but I have really dry hair so getting a greasy look isn't a problem. I always put on real clothes to go out...or even stay in. I'm not a fan of lounging in pajamas or yoga pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is funny. I've been pushing the limits of how long I can go without washing my hair ever since the summer when I spent a ton of time at the cottage :) cottage = jump in the lake instead of shower lol My limit is 3 days because my hair gets greasy.

    I immediately change into my pj's when i get home from work. To the point that I've hesitated going next door to knock on the door of my new neighbours in fear that they too change into their pj's right away and will be all, who's this stranger at the door, we can't answer, we're in our pj's. Plus that might make them think they can come knock on my door in the future and I'll have to worry about being dressed LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny! I just cracked up laughing reading your little recap. =)

    I'll go without makeup sometimes if I'm not really feeling it. And occasionally, I'll swing by the grocery store in my sweaty gym clothes. That's really gross. But I have to admit that I do, when we need milk or eggs or something like that.

    Even with your unwashed hair, you still manage to look absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does not look greasy at all! I will forgo make up a lot or not wash my hair and wear it in a baseball hat. You look cute though greasy hair and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm OK with forgoing make-up but pretty rarely because I look young without it (not always a good thing, I think). And I only wash my hair about once a month with shampoo, but I rinse and condition (almost) every day.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will go a couple of days without washing my hair. As long as I don't use a lot of product I am good to go. I will also forgo my usual makeup for quick cover up, blush, and mascara. I have been known to go out in my jammies at times to;)

    Your hair doesn't look greasy and I love the cute outfit.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. its ok not to wash your hair so often, lol

    love the fall outfit,
    thanks for visiting my blog, hope you come back soon!

    @CottonCandyINK.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is a total french thing (I am not being pompous, I am from France only moved to the US as a grown up), but I do not go out without proper clothes (no gym pants or PJs), make up and rinsed hair (I only wash twice a week but condition every day). This I will do even to go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my blog, is your participation important to me, I love the concept of your blog. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pretty much wash my hair every day unless I have no plans to go anywhere. I know it's healthy to not wash every day but I just can't do that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can go 3 days max without washing my hair, but when I workout I get so sweaty, and I find blow drying the sweat out of my hair disgusting. I hardly wear make up on the weekends unless I go out, and I'll go anywhere in my gym clothes, even after I go to the gym and I'm sweaty. I figure there will be people out there that are a lot worse for wear than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comment on my blog, nice outfit! :)

    http://sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only wash my hair every fews days. I could try to pretend it's because I'm green, but it's really cuz I'm lazy. Being blonde helps - I can just sprinkle on some baby powder if it looks a little greasy.
    cate@wildruffle

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) CAN I TELL YOU how badly I want those boots?
    2) And how jealous I am you THRIFTED them?
    3) this is hilarious - sadly for my husband, I have breaks from teaching for 3 weeks at a time (we are year-round), and I may sit around all day with grea-zay hair in sweats with no bra. Poor fella.

    I SO would have gone back to get those suitcases though! Score!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny. Love the outfit and the greasies totally work for you! I grabbed a neighbor's discarded wicker loveseat last night because I knew that it would be gone by sunrise. She helped me move it until hubs could pick it up.

    I will go out without makeup, but must have on lipgloss!! It's a Texas thing, I was bred to never leave home without my lips on.;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. loving the layers in this outfit!
    xo Cara
    http://www.afashionloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The strangest thing I have seen at the liquor was a Santa in his suit being a case of Ice House beer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to steal those boots away from you so bad ... I love them!!
    jess
    www.jesscauseblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. First, thank you so much for the comment on my rough and ready outfit! I am flattered. I wanted to check out your blog as well and I thought I would comment and thank you too. I love your blouse/sweater/belt combo, so classy. I also greatly enjoyed reading a few of your posts, they are amusing. (: And to answer your query, I'll forgo makeup and the occasional shower if I forgo anything at all, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Very amusing post! We really ARE sharing lots of secrets this week. I have definitely gone several days without washing my hair or shaving my legs/armpits...ewww!!! I do it, but think it's gross--isn't that terrible? I usually only ever forgo makeup when I'm dropping off or picking my son up from school (and I don't have to get out of the car for said mission).
    Long comment---but the other night I ran into a CVS in jammie-like lounge clothes (it was pretty late) and I overheard a woman in back of me telling her daughter that she couldn't wear her PJs out in public...I was so shamed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, I never wear makeup! In fact, putting on makeup has lately been reserved for fancy occasions (going away parties, and my OWN wedding!). I do go out without a bra once in awhile, but thats just me. I dont however, think I could ever EVER go out in my jammies, sweatpants or anything! I just feel too self-conscious! I just cant help thinking of all of those girls in college who wore pajama pants and gross slippers outside and to class all day long. YUCK! That must be it...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have super long hair, so I usually skip a day between washing, although I've only recently started using dry shampoo on those off-days. I only wish I'd been using it this summer, my hair got downright nasty at some points, even just the day after washing.

    Otherwise, I rarely go out without being all done up. I do have my "purposefully casual" days where I look fussy on purpose but... there's always makeup and perfume etc. I don't think I could go anywhere without a bra, ever hah.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that outfit is the definition of fall weather and equestrian style, i love it

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love the blouse underneath your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE the button-down layered sweater (it's like my favorite go-to look right now) and that belt is faaaabulous! Great look :)

    http://somethingoldmeetssomethingnew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't believe you made it five days before your hair started to look greasy...I can't go a single day without the grease factor kicking in. It's just not fair, really... :)

    I love that sweater...and the fact that it's chunky sweater weather again. Yay fall!

    ReplyDelete