Thursday, October 13, 2011

curious birds: halloween

halloween is right around the corner and i am getting so excited! candy, costumes, trick-or-treating with the kiddos, candy, carving pumpkins, candy (and did i mention candy, yet???) ! i love it all, but especially candy dressing up! megan and i love coming up with fun costume ideas every year. we literally start emailing one another costume suggestions for the next year the day after halloween. we are still trying to figure out this year's costume, but we have narrowed it down to a few of our absolute favorite ideas. we are going to do a group costume this year with us birds and our hubbies. it should be fun! and hopefully we will win first prize in the costume contest at the local bar we patronize each year. megan and chris won the year they were howie mandel and his briefcase model (from "deal or no deal"). it was amazing. so, while we don't know quite what we are going to be this year, my question for you is, are you (or your kiddos) dressing up for halloween? if so, what are you going to be? if not, do you have a favorite costume from halloweens past?

i thought i would share some photos of our favorite costumes (and other stuff) from past halloweens...




mimi's first halloween!


the winners!





my fave eva costume!





and you should know, jim dresses up as a cow every year unless i come up with an idea that he deems better. this rarely happens...so here are some picture of cow-jim throughout the years...





i am excited to hear about your halloween plans!

xoxo, nora bird
























10 comments:

  1. Very fun pics! My husband is going to be The World's Most Interesting Man (he has great silver hair). I haven't decided for myself yet. And we will be at the NYC Halloween Parade, that's the best part : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I also love candy, er, I mean Halloween. I love the idea of Howie and his briefcase model haha. Kevin and I always try to do a "couples costume". Last year was my favorite - we went as lawn decorations... he was a garden gnome and I was a lawn flamingo. It was great. Not sure what we're doing this year though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao at the default cow costume. Amazing! I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! I'm not sure what I'll be leaning towards a fairy. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never dressed up - we don't usually go to any adult Halloween parties or anything but of course we always dress up the kiddo. This year she wants to be Tinkerbell - originally she wanted to be Strawberry Shortcake then Raggedy Ann and now we're on to Tinkerbell! Last year she was an adorable bee and before that a rockin' Pirate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, love that you guys went as Kiss. I went as Gene Simmons one year in high school, had these huge wooden platform boots to wear... And I love the little skunk costume. I was a tube of Crest Toothpaste in 6th grade, my mom made my costume, and it was pretty awesome.

    I haven't actually dressed up as an adult, which is pretty sad considering my birthday is on Halloween. I probably won't again this year either. I am decking myself out as a zombie in two weekends for the Zombie Walk though, so I guess that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband always goes as Jeff Probst, simply because it's not really a costume. It's a button down with the sleeves rolled up and khakis.

    That zombie makeup is pretty amazing, BTW!
    cate@wildruffle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nora, I had never heard about Jim's annual cow costume. That's hilarious. Love you two as the dead prom couple (?), too. Crazy to see you with such long hair. Thank you for this post birdies! I love seeing all the kiddos over the years. God. They really couldn't be cuter...We still haven't figured out our costumes yet either. We better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! These are awesome! I really love the KISS and the little orphan Annie one (I was her once too a few years ago!). My favorite costumes I've been: pregnant high school cheerleader, Maude Lebowski in the viking costume, and the bee girl from Blind Melon's "No Rain" video. It was for the Polar Bear Plunge, not Halloween, but my friend John and I went as Colonel Mustard with the rope and Miss Scarlett with the candlestick (yes, I jumped into a frozen lake in a red evening gown.) Pretty awesome. The metal candlestick got so cold it stuck to my hand and I had to go run it under warm water in the bathroom...

    Pictures of a lot of them are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/futurelint/sets/72157627885010014/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The default cow costume is funny. I'd better not show it to Brett, since he keeps telling me he wants a chicken suit because he could wear it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Jim- I have a cow costume (made of super comfy fleece) that I wear every year. It's warm and cozy and my students always love it.

    ReplyDelete