Friday, August 12, 2011

frugal feathers: i'm your private dancer

well i already let the crazy out, so i might as well share some more with you. do y'all ever buy groupons? you know what they are, right? basically you can get all kinds of goodies for half off. i used to be a groupon junkie. for reals. i would buy restaurant groupons, massage groupons, exercise class groupons. lots of money saved (or lots of money spent, if you're a glass half empty sort of person). a while back, one came out that caught my eye. i immediately called my friend, theresa, and informed her that we had to do this. she heartily agreed. we were on our way to pole dancing lessons. ok, not lessons...it was a work-out class that involved pole dancing (but lessons just sounds more seedy, right?) so off we went. side note: i had no idea what to wear to a pole dancing class...so i threw on my running pants and a tank, and of course i had the pasties on underneath, just in case! ok, there were no pasties involved, but again, it would have been a better story of there were.

theresa and i met at the studio, a little shy and ambivalent. as soon as we walked in, we saw the ringer. she was clearly an experienced dancer. she was just there to show off. she had her little pink hot pants on and she was climbing up that pole like there was a stack of 20s at the top. i was duly impressed. but not as impressed as i would be once i finished this class. have any of you ever pole danced before? it's ridiculously hard. dancers make it look so easy, but it's not.
here's how my night went. cue the sexy music (and by sexy music, i mean pussycat dolls or something by fergie. i know, it's all relative.) the instructor then taught us how to do a few basic spins. and i have to say, i was a natural. is that bad? i guess it depends on who you're asking. by the end of the night, i was spinning like a top. i probably didn't have any semblance of sexiness while i was doing it, but hey, i was doing it. and the next morning, when i woke up, half the skin on my hands was gone. it's tough being a dancer, people. i gained a whole new respect.

i will leave you with this...the last 10 minutes of the class was a free for all. we got to do whatever we wanted. but, the caveat was that we had to do at least three minutes of sexy walking (imagine me, high knee raises, slowly putting one foot in front of the other, swinging my right arm back and forth in a fierce snapping motion...ok don't imagine that at all). luckily the lights were down, because theresa and i couldn't look each other in the eye and pretend that we were sexy dancers. after all, we were just moms trying to get some exercise. we celebrated our newfound sexy moves with a beer at the bar across the street, where theresa told me that she would never return. i tried to get nora to go with me, but the thought of us sexy walking next to each other was just too much for either of us to take, so alas, i have never been back. my hands thank me, chris does not.

enough about me, let's talk about my new skirt. $5.99. leopard print. spins like a dream. imagine how it would spin on a pole...
skirt ~ $5.99 thrifted
tank ~ $1.50 thrifted
belt ~ $1.00 garage sale
shoes ~ $19.99 urban original
earrings ~ $2.80 F21
bracelets ~ $4.80 F21

have you checked out our giveaway yet? it's a good one!

keep on dancing!
xoxo,
megan bird

24 comments:

  1. The thought of taking pole dancing lessons makes me want to start giggling uncontrollably. Also - I know I would be really, comically bad at it.

    That skirt? Love it!! My birthday is in October in case you're feeling generous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we did one pole dancing class last year for my friend's bachelorette party. Half of the girls were pretty decent actually, but I lacked any upper body strength and couldn't do anything. It probably didn't help that I was 6 months pregnant at the time...let me tell you, NOT sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am basically the most self conscious person I know. So while the IDEA of pole dancing classes sounds fantastic I'm not sure that I would be able to do it.
    Also great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahaha such a good story.
    Me and a few friends have thought about taking those pole dancing "lessons" a few times, but have never followed through. It definitely sounds fun though!

    Lovin' the skirt. I'm such a sucker for leopard print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that leopard skirt. I think I would be too awkward to do a pole dancing class. Even the idea of a sexy walk has me giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a brilliant story! i keep meaning to get on groupon so thanks for the reminder! i think you should go back to the classes on your own especially if you were a natural! cute outfit too, i love the fact that its now good to wear two different prints. looking great!

    saywhatyourheartwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your outfit. That skirt is just too fun! I think I would be fine with the lessons but the 10 minute free for all would leave me giggling uncontrollably as I ran out the door.

    Jenn
    Secondhand Stylist Thrifted - Three Ways

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this leopard skirt and I want one just like it! I wish I could go pole dancing with you - just once - to give it a try. It would be very hard to keep a straight face for me! If you really think about it, some of the things that people find are sexy are laugh out loud funny if you think about it. Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard it is a great workout, but have never tried myself .... however you never know!! That skirt is a dream, wish I owned it ... what a find!!
    jess
    www.jesscauseblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, this story is great...I am happy to know that when I visit you two lovely birds that you won't judge me because I secretly wanted to dance/strip for a living when I was younger and in shape. You just keep those stories coming, I like how you are slowly and wonderfully revealing your true self and making us think about how much we all really have in common. Your outfit and physique look gorgeous in this post...just gorgeous. Great mix of patterns. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was at a festival a few weeks ago, and one of the headliners had a pole dancer come out and do her thing on an adjacent stage during their performance. It might be associated with floozies, but damn is pole dancing definitely an art and a skill. Ain't no way this girl could hold herself upside down on a slick pole with only her thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This print combinations is totally fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing skirt! I love how you mixed the patterns :)

    xx
    rebelrousher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how your mixed the leopard and polka dots! Very chic and cute.

    Briggs
    http://shortsisterstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMg, I've thought about going so many times as part of a girls night out, but in the end I totally chicken out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What! no pictures on the pole?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so fascinated by pole dancing. It requires so much strength, grace, flexibility, not to mention confidence. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, I can so relate to your story! I tried a burlesque class and then a burlesque/pole class. Wow, working the pole was hard (that's what she said!). I'm so impressed with the girls that are so good that make it look so effortlessly!

    And no picture on the pole? Chris will be really disappointed now!
    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, megan bird. you crack me up! can you please always include the word "pasties" in every post?

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should definitely go back to the class and wear this skirt - it's perfect for twirling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this pattern mixing! I haven't been brave enough to mix my animal prints with another print yet. But you just might inspire me to do so. I am in love with your skirt-so fab!

    www.casualchickiki.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hahahahahahahaha...I'm laughing so hard I can't even think of any comment to make!!! Very well done and subtle print-mix you have here-truly a lovely outfit :) Thanks for the laugh!
    http://thelittlestunicornonearth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pattern mix and the story! My friend talked me into attending a pole dancing exercise class with her;) It was quite the experience! One that we both can't talk about now without busting out laughing.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving that leopard skirt lady! J'adore print mixing!

    ReplyDelete