Thursday, August 18, 2011

curious birds: why you wear what you wear

i have come to a realization. it kind of sucks sometimes, but at least i know the truth. i have realized that i will not always look like how models look in clothes. doy! ok, in all seriousness, i have known this for quite some time. i have always said that i love my legs, i just want them to be about two inches taller. no problem, right? and who am i kidding when i bring a picture of a movie star to my hairdresser and say, "make me look like her." the fact of the matter is, it's probably not all real hair, and she probably has a stylist who does her hair for every red carpet moment. stars, they are not just like us.
they show each other things in the sky! just like us! via
but that doesn't stop me from comparing. and not even with stars. i have four beautiful sisters. and they are all blessed with great genes. i am always comparing myself to them. the grass is always greener, right? and my gorgeous friends, what i wouldn't give for her hair, or her stomach, or her arms...you get the point. but you know what? i wouldn't change a thing. i am happy with who i am and what i look like. imperfections make me who i am. plus, if i did have a perfect body, wouldn't i still find something that needed improvement?
but my question today isn't really that deep. we all have different bodies, and we all have different styles, but can every body wear every style? what got me to thinking about this is that i was biking to work yesterday and i saw this girl wearing a pair of leggings, a zipped up hoodie and a tight tee. she looked amazing in it. i love this casual, effortless look. it is a look that i would love to wear. but i can't. alas, i have curves, and short legs, and more curves. leggings and tight tees are not in my sartorial repertoire. but sometimes i try anyways. and sometimes i fail. sometimes a pair of heels makes it work, and sometimes heels just don't look good with leggings and sweatshirts. (sometimes?) but if i could, i would rock leggings and tight tees every day. or long, shapeless maxi dresses. but i can't wear those either, because i am curvy. and only people with no curves and teeny waist lines should wear shapeless dresses.
via
so my question today is this...is there a certain trend or a specific piece of clothing that you would love to wear, but you know you shouldn't because it's not flattering? and if so, do you wear it anyways? i know i do (see below)!
via
case in point, i just bought this little number from asos. so not flattering on me, but i couldn't help myself...maybe with the right belt and some high heels...a girl can dream (pictures to come soon, maybe).

we will be announcing the winner for our giveaway later today...this is your last chance to enter!!
xoxo,
megan bird

15 comments:

  1. I think it's border-line hilarious that I have no idea who any of the people in the "Stars-They're just like US!" excerpt are.

    Melanie@Unravelled Threads
    Follow @UnraveldThreads on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm a curvy girl, too, and have had two kids, so my stomach is pretty much mush. So, I can't wear any tight shirt if I'm wearing tight jeans, and anything shapeless has to be belted or I look gargantuan. So, yep, I feel ya. I sometimes will venture into something I know I shouldn't wear. Occasionally, I can make shapeless work by adding a belt, but I don't think I'll ever be able to make leggings work. Maybe in my dreams. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I like the style of the boxy/slouchy tees and tanks right now, but I wore one yesterday, and I kind of just looked pregnant again, depending on the angle. With my hips and mom gut, I definitely need to define a waist or I look huge. But, I still wear that style sometimes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of drop crotch/harem pants, but I'm positive I couldn't pull them off.

    Another style I know wouldn't suit me is the one piece pantsuit. I would look like a cross between a mechanic and Blanche from the Golden Girls.

    As for the Asos dress - with a belt, a fab necklace, and extremely tall platform heels, you'll rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have very short, thick legs, and I know that short shorts will never be an option for me. I love the look of them on others... but no way, not on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I'm too short for Capris and i lOVE that style! I'm too chunky for the plain tank top and shorts look and I seriously would like to be able to rock this fantastic gypsy type dress/blousy top that I picked up in Paris, but I am too curvy and it looks like a tent :( I too thought a belt and heels would help and it's sooo not helping. So the dress sits in my closet and I stare at it every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think part of the 'problem' is that we are expecting a certain shape all the time. Women are constantly trying to look as skinny and as tall as possible. Sometimes it's nice to strive for a completely different silhouette.
    I am short and curvy and I still occasionally wear those boxy shapeless dresses. No I don't look as thin as I do in a belted dress or a pencil skirt. But I still think that I look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me a shapeless dress. I am uh, blessed with a large chest so I have to be careful that it doesn't hang straight off of them and make me look pregnant.

    Jenn
    Secondhand Stylist Thrifted - Three Ways

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha "they point at things in the sky". the outfit you describe with leggings, tee, hoodie- that's exactly the kind of look i wish i could pull off. i also love the pic of the girl in the pic dress/hoodie- anything big on top that i can wear leggings and boots with would be my ideal :) but, i'm with you- i have a LONG torso and not so long legs! i really enjoyed this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am TOO tall for heels and I wobble around like a two-minute old baby deer. BUT, you've both inspired me to go for a big wedge every now and again and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well hmm... i cannot rock the skinny jeans look for the life of me because of the hips and thighs i inherited from my mother. so i merely admire the look on others and try to stick to my wide leg jeans. but really, i think if there's a trend you want to try, go for it!
    and ps. that dress from asos is beautiful and you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this question- I'ma fan of style blogs that go beyond outfit photos and actually address style issue we all have!

    I loved the crop top/high waist look that was hot this summer, but I didn't try it because I have a big bust and I knew it would just make the crop top look tentish!

    However I thought short girls shouldn't rock maxi dresses, but two of my co-workers proved me wrong. I may try one before the summer is over. Check out my blog to see if I go for it.

    Liv @ bklynlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, and it's definitely something every woman can relate to. There are definitely clothes/hairstyles/makeup etc that I wish I could wear or pull off, but I can't because of my skin color, my hair type, my body shape, etc. It's just learning how to work with what you LIKE and what you think looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the dress is gorgeous and I'll bet it looks better on you than you imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wouldn't it be nice to look like a model in everything! Looking perfect all the time is way too much work, embracing what you got is just so much better.

    xo L.

    ReplyDelete