Friday, July 8, 2011

frugal feathers: it's not my fault

i can pretty much blame the fact that i have so many shoes on my kids. every time we go thrifting together, they love to pick things out for me. when it comes to shoes, i have to admit, they have a pretty good eye. most of the time, they go for the brightest, blingy-est, pinkest (for eva), and highest (for henry) pairs of shoes they can find. and if i say that i don't like them, and don't buy them, they are slightly offended. so what do i do? i buy them, of course. i don't want to upset my sweet little darlings! granted, i don't love them all, so i usually just throw a "those probably won't fit me" out there. but alas, my kids are smart. very smart. they have learned. now they tell me to try them on. and they know...they somehow know what size my foot is. there is no escaping these little fashionistas! so last night when i saw these amazing shoes, the first thing i noticed was that they were a size 10 (i am a size 8). no matter, i thought, i will just buy them for two birds. they were definitely too great to pass up. but then henry looked and me and said, "mama, you should try those on. i think they will fit you." never, not me, i'm not a size 10. but lo and behold, it was like cinderella...they slid right onto my foot as if the prince had put them there himself. and today i am the proud owner of these amazing vintage made in spain gorgeous sandals.


and since i don't have the right to bare arms at work, here's what i'm really wearing today



dress ~ old navy, thrifted $5.99
shoes ~ vintage, thrifted $7.99
belt ~ vintage, rummage sale $.50
bracelets ~ assorted (dots, vintage, thrifted, F21) $5 total
sweater ~ free (thanks, erin!)
earrings ~ F21 $3.99

and this my friends, is one more reason why you should always look outside your size zone when you're thrifting! especially vintage...they had real sizes back then...none of this vanity crap. (who am i kidding, i love vanity sizing!)

via
happy friday!!

xoxo,
megan bird

22 comments:

  1. Those are amazing. I never see shoes that awesome when I'm thrifting, in any size.
    I just bought a pair of vintage shoes that had no size in them at all. I just had a feeling. They're a tiny bit big, but since they're more fall/winter I figure that's great since I'll be wearing multiple pairs of socks or tights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes ARE amazing! Your kids definitely have a good eye. Love the whole color scheme of your outfit. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love LOVE this outfit. I want to wear an exact replica. And yes, the sandals are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sandals! I'm doing the cardi-over-outfit thing at work today too... I can get away with bare arms but the tank top I'm wearing is racer-back and sharing my back tattoo and my bra straps doesn't sound office-appropriate to me hah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shoes were a pretty great find - your kids were totally on the money. Also, of you want a chuckle, go to Amazon and look up The Right to Arm Bears by Gordon R. Dickson...sorry, your reference to bearing arms made me remember this hilarious book cover.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, I need to go shopping with your kids! These shoes are great!
    I love that about vintage/older pieces though. I'll look at the tag and think the number is wrong but I just have this 'feeling'. Then I try it on and SCORE I get new clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo I love those and your sweater is just amazing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that cardigan looked familiar! :) It looks really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shoes are SO cute! That Henry sure is a good kid! :D Love the outfit too!

    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  10. those shoes = Love! and outfit of course is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the comment on my blog! this is soo cute! Now following :) Follow back: http://mythriftedcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. If they didn't fit you I would have taken them and worn them every day! :) Cute outfit! Also, your hair looks *amazing.* Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them and I love them on you!!! Adorable outfit too. It seems that you can wear anything. lucky!!! Great story too. What awesome kids. I took my little niece with me to the thrift today and she was a doll. She is only two and a half but I love finding things for her. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two Birds!! Thanks for the nice comment!!

    So glad to make your bloggy acquaintance!!! I'LL BE BACK!

    www.whoa-my-goodness.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. aww, those are cute shoes and probably well made. not only may they be vintage sizing, but europe and even australia have their own shoe sizing as well. i'm a 7 7.5 in the US in shoes and a 38 here. i love the US's vanity sizing, i'm a 4 there and a whopping 10 here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This dress is so nice! First I thought it was a top and a skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a cute dress! love the color on your toes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The way i see it you just can't have to many shoes.
    You are right on about the size when thrifting. I wear a size 10 but have several 9's that fit perfect. I also look at the larger maxi dresses. Bring them home and wackamole them to fit me.
    Hope you have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very lovely outfit, I love the colours and patterns :) Shoes are pretty amazing and you're right you cna't go by the size label because every brand's different so you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i don't know why, but my favorite part of this outfit is your sweater! it's such a lovely color green.

    xx
    ~chantilly

    ReplyDelete
  21. great shoes and skirt...love all the colors in this outfit! very nice!

    ReplyDelete