Wednesday, June 15, 2011

frugal feathers

we are starting a new feature on the bloggy today. frugal feathers! it is no secret that megan and i go thrifting a lot. we love a bargain and we often find some pretty sweet deals! so much so that it is actually difficult for us to shop at regular stores and pay full price for an item when we know we can find something similar (or better!) at a thrift store, a garage sale or a rummage sale for way less! so these posts will be all about our awesome thrifty finds. clothes, shoes, jewelry, housewares...nothing is off limits. this is going to be fun. we hope you enjoy!!!

just a side note ~ it is rainy today so i brought my little vintage umbrella out with me to take my photos just in case it started raining again and i needed to cover the camera (although i don't know how much good this umbrella would do. but it is the first one i saw as i was walking out the door). and, as usual, i was being a huge dork and started using it as a prop. at one point during my mini photo shoot, i saw a minivan drive by my house super slowly. clearly they were wondering who the crazy umbrella lady taking her own photos was...awesome. and here she is...






dress ~ elle (i believe that brand is originally sold at kohls), savers thrift store, $6.50 (purchased on senior day with my mom. she gets 40% off!)

shoes~ marc fisher, thrifted for me by megan at goodwill, $3.50

belt~ vintage, savers, $1.60

bracelets~ H&M (not thrifted!) and handmade

umbrella~ vintage, garage sale, $1.00

i hope you are having a happy hump day. we were supposed to go to megan's for dinner but her poor baby girl has strep throat. send happy thoughts and well wishes her way. poor kiddo.


xoxo, nora bird









18 comments:

  1. Love that umbrella!!! So bright and pretty :)Perfect for a gloomy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about it being difficult to shop for things full-price after thrifting a lot. Store price tags just seem so steep in comparison!

    I hope Megan's little one feels better soon, strep throat is nooo fun, for mommy or child!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO excited for this feature!! What a great idea! I know what you mean about having difficulty paying full price at a "regular" store for things. I am so used to thrift store pricing that I often think even the full price stuff at Target is expensive ;)

    I'm going to have to start bringing my mom along for senior days! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Umbrella is sooo cute, and I am bananas for those Marc Fisher's. Lucky girl.

    xoxo

    Cinderella's Closet NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What great finds!
    You look amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love those shoes, i've been wanting to get some of those but afraid i'll look like a fool :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah! I knew I shouldn't have looked at your post when I saw that umbrella! I WANT one SO SO SO bad! And then I saw your shoes and had to have them! I headed on over to ebay and now, 28 bucks later I too will be the proud owner of those oxfords!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that print and the umbrella is super cute. Sorry that Megan's kiddo isn't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i used to have problems paying full price for anything in the US, but in Australia things are priced twice as expensive for.. well i think for "no good reason." please don't tell an economist on me. so let's say i want something from... a fancy smancy store like burberry, twice as expensive as what it would be in the US.

    i shop online, mail items to my mom in NC, and she ships them to Australia. still cheaper than buying the same thing in Sydney and it be of a cheaper quality. when we go home my husband and i have decided to take 4 outfits for 2 weeks and literally buy suitcases worth of new clothes to bring back with us.

    best wishes for a sick girl! i'm sick today as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the umbrella! it's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. NORA, MY ADDRESS IS LISTED BELOW....I WILL PAY FOR SHIPPING...send that gorgeous umbrella to me asap...k? Just kidding! I do realy like it though. You look lovely in the dress with the Marc F. shoes. You should wave when people go by and stare. I like this new feature for your blog. Sorry to hear that your niece has strep...:( Poor baby. Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a fantastic umbrella!!! love the dress too. you look beeeeautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aha! I'm starting a very similar feature on my blog! I love seing people's thrift finds, and yours are especially great! That umbrella is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those shoes are amazing! I find most of my items in thrift stores, and I love the hunt! Usually I don't even know what I'm looking for when I find it, and that makes the purchase even more exciting. You have a great item to bring home you weren't even expecting to!! Those shoes are clearly a great example! Now to get my sisters on board with this thrifting thing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe you got that umbrella for $1.00. It's gorgeous!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  16. lolol, I often wonder what my neighbors think of me when I take pics of myself :).

    You should totally submit this look to Kyla's Blue Collar Collective, and I am looking forward to the inspiration from this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want those shoes. I've been trying to thrift some similar (I also resist retail prices) but haven't had any luck so far. I will definitely keep looking though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome umbrella! i can't wait to see what fun things you two come up with. you seem like you have such a great time together. i have total sister envy right now (i have two brothers).

    -suzanne
    awkwardly chic

    ReplyDelete