Thursday, June 16, 2011

curious birds: pretty pretty polish


as you may or may not have noticed in my outfit photos (probably not, but you never know), i either have no nail polish on or it is completely chipped away. seriously, the other night jim and i were sitting in our basement watching a movie and i decided to paint my nails. i applied about three coats to each finger and let it dry completely. it looked great. literally, about 10 minutes later i look down and it is already chipping. so frustrating! whenever i get a manicure (which is, like, hardly ever) i love how long it lasts! i just don't know what i am doing wrong. okay, maybe i do. perhaps i don't ever spend more than $3 on a bottle of nail polish. i know, i know! but it just seems so silly to me to spend a lot. but when i paint my nails and it only lasts 10 minutes...perhaps it is time to invest a bit more. or perhaps not? maybe you have some suggestions of some inexpensive polishes that don't chip right away? or techniques you use to make your manicure last?

i don't want to spend this much...


seriously, you guys? this nail polish goes for $130,000. not kidding. it has a yellow gold and diamond encrusted lid. why. would. you. ever. spend. your. money. on. that.

however, i have always been curious about the chanel brand of nail polish.


i especially love their beige colors and have never been able to find colors like them elsewhere. i just don't know if it is worth it...

so, i am looking for suggestions. what is your favorite nail polish? what do you do to make your manicures last? help me! it is up to you, and you alone, to make my nails beautiful! like this...


xoxo, nora bird





16 comments:

  1. i haven't been able to find chanel's famous jade color. all their beige color,or neutral browns are hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essie nail polish! http://www.essie.com/

    It's huge right now all over other fashion blogs I've been reading lately as well. The owner started it to perfectly reflect colors on high fashion runways each season. Candy. I think they are around $8 a pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently started painting my nails again, and I have to admit I buy super cheap Walmart polish. However, I did invest in some good base coat and top coat, which helps protect the polish from chipping, and that's definitely helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the consistency of Essie and OPI, and they both last a long time, but at $7 or so a pop, I can't justify buying them all that frequently.

    I'm rocking some bright blue $2 Sally Hansen at the moment - I just painted them two days ago and already every nail is chipped! Grr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when it coms to manicure, I'm just like you. I think a protective coat definitely helps. But I usually don't really bother with my nails so they are usually raw and ugly.

    love~mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried Shellac? I haven't yet but I hear it lasts two weeks! I get my nails done every two weeks at a beauty school (it was my treat to myself since I've quit smoking) and the next time I go I may try it, but I think they only have 12 colors right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you can get it but I find TopShop nail polishes last pretty well! that Model's Own one is crazy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like you... ten minutes after I paint my nails they are smudged or chipped. I never do it myself anymore and I think they last time I had a manicure was my wedding- SO I'll be checking back to read the comments to see if anyone has tips for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy the very very cheapest nail polish too- I can get it to stay about a week on my fingers without chipping, and closer to two on my toes before chipping. I buy the 1-2 dollar kind at walgreens so I can get any color I please! Doing dishes is a killer though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love essie nail colors and sally hansen ones the best! they make great colors and while they chip after a few days, i still like them. i find that i have to paint my nails one day then wait for it to be dry the next and then put a top coat over. it helps a little but i always chip nails with the kids and doing dishes, etc. but it's okay, i just change up the colors often!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm the same way when i paint my own nails ... it never lasts! my friend is the opposite! but she's a nail polish whore. She says I have to put at least two coats of the polish and a clear polish on top, or a special top coat. maybe try that and see if it works for you??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure, since it lasts a long time and I don't have to do base or top coats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Seche Vite top coat. I started using a top coat because I love the consistency and color of China Glaze polishes, but they chip like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salley Hansen's tough nails is a great top coat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In college, I painted my nails a different color each week. Post college, I don't have time to meticulously maintain my nails anymore, and I also manage to chip them immediately. I also buy cheap nailpolishes. I do have some OPI and Essie that I bought on clearance - and I do notice a difference. I also was given a couple Chanel nailpolishes as a gift once, and I super loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like OPI - Barefoot in barcelona
    Very pretty and much cheaper

    ReplyDelete