Thursday, June 9, 2011

curious birds: look mom, dry hands

i have the worst hands. they are always dry, there is always a cuticle or two that could stand to be tweaked, my nails are never painted...they are just plain gross. and i am that person that always looks at people's hands. you can tell true age by looking at hands. people can have as much plastic surgery on their face as they want, but dollars to donuts their hands are still wrinkly! 

(i had to at least put on a fancy ring if i was going to take a picture of my ratty hands!)
 i am a lotion junkie, too. i love different scents, different purposes (e.g., anti-aging, pro-cuticle, etc.) and i will buying many a lotions for my hands. my favorite right now is trader joe's spa hand & body lotion in lavender. it smells like a field of lavender, and it's the perfect silky, yet non-greasy consistency. but i know it takes more work than just lotion. i know it takes time and effort to make a beautiful hand. i just never think to spend even an hour a week on mine. i bet they would look so much nicer if i just took the time.


so i'm calling out to all of you...what can i do that is fairly easy and not hugely expensive, to make my hands beautiful? or, does anyone want to come over once a week and give me a manicure? that would be terrific! ; )

xoxo,
megan bird

11 comments:

  1. I like Lush's Lemony Flutter Cuticle butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I really swear by is Shea butter. I get the 'Slippery Slope' brand from the fair trade store down the street from me. http://www.globalmamas.org/Category/89-slippery-slope-shea-butter.aspx#
    I use the unscented kind because I prefer it when things don't smell like other things. But scented ones smell amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i swear by neutrogena hand cream. no pretty scent and no frills, but a little dab'l do ya. it works wonders on my gross dishpan hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hands are lovely! and that ring is beautiful! I like to use night creams on my hands, they're usually heavier than most lotions, and I don't have to buy another product!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I barely pay attention to my hands either - the quickest fix I know if is the occasional exfoliating scrub to get off the dead skin cells, then slathering on some nice lotion immediately after. If only I could remember to take my own advice...haha.

    -Marie
    So What If I Like Pretty Things

    ReplyDelete
  6. right when i started reading this, i reached over to the side of my desk & started putting lotion on! i don't pay nearly enough attention to my hands, yet at the same time i'm deathly afraid of having old lady hands!

    the lotion i have at my desk is the st. ives renewing collagen elastin. i put that on after i wash my hands at work. i also like using aquaphor on the cracks in the winter time. also, drinking a lot of water, eating lots of veggies and taking a vitamin (prenatal for nails & vitamin e for the skin).

    good luck! your hands don't look bad at all (but maybe i'm looking down at my own and wishing mine looked nice & smooth!).

    -suzanne
    awkwardly chic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have old hands due to working in the medical field for over 20 years, but go ahead and judge me by my hands because I am old too. Your hands are beautiful. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a pretty bottle. My hands get so dry with washing hands way too many times with the kids so I always look for hand lotions as well. My newest obsessions is Kiehl's severely dry hand lotion. It works amazingly well.

    Hey, you guys did not update the photo in the 'inspiration monday' button. I was going to post a reminder for my readers today and noticed it.

    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get an exfoliating scrub for hands and use it a couple of times a week. Exfoliating encourages collagen production and skin regeneration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hands are always torn up from constant sewing, drawing, and writing. But since I've been using Oil of Olay 'beauty fluid' as my regular facial moisturizer, I've been rubbing the excess onto my hands, and they're a lot softer. I still have marks from pins and I'm constantly covered in ink-- but hey, a little progress still counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If mine look bad, I put Body Butter from The Body Shop on the hands and then Dior's Crème Abricot Pour Les Ongles on the nails & cuticles overnight wearing cotton gloves. The next morning they'll be super hydrated and look good again :) Also I use Biotin supplements which is good for strong healthy nails (and also skin & hair) - it makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete