Thursday, May 19, 2011

curious birds: spring and summertime fragrances

i am a huge olfactory person. i have just started to bike to work again and i can spend the whole half hour it takes to get to work just trying to identify smells. some are great, some are not so great. last summer, there was a constant smell of banana laffy taffy pretty much every day on my way home. that is way better than the monday morning smell of the garbage collector, but not quite as good as the scent of laundry being cleaned! my favorite is a fleeting perfume that only lasts a few weeks around here – the apple blossoms. not only are the trees beautiful, but they smell absolutely delicious. i probably look like a complete nut, but when i pass a blossoming apple tree, i always take a huge deep yoga breath. they smell so good...i wish i could capture that scent! here's a beauty just down the block from our house...


at home, i have a huge collection of perfume. like i said, olfactory person. my baby sister used to work at l'occitane, and i got a ton of perfumes from her that i love. my two favorites are "linden" which smells like honeysuckle, and "magnolia" which smells like...magnolia! i also have a few essential oils that i use for perfume. my all-time favorite is egyptian musk. it works for any season of the year...it's a mix between a sexy musk and clean linens. i love it! i also adore the smell of lavender and have a handful of linen sprays, essential oils and lotions that smell of it. 
via
my absolute favorite perfume is now discontinued. if any of you ever see it (aside from the ebay sellers who are trying to sell half-full bottles for $200), please let me know where. i would honestly buy as much as i can just to have it in stock. it's called bcbgirls metro. it is more of a winter scent, but i love it regardless of the time of year. it's a perfect mix of florals – like lilies of the valley, magnolia and gardenia – and sandalwood. i have a half a bottle left and trust me, i use it sparingly. these are just a few of my favorite scents, but i am always on the lookout for new ones...which leads me to today's curious birds question: what is your favorite perfume? i would love to hear all of your answers, and you can guarantee that i will be at the department store sniffing away at each and every recommendation!
via
sniff it to me..(ba doom ching!)

xoxo,
megan bird

11 comments:

  1. I actually only wear perfumes by Lush, an all natural and vegan-friendly company. Their scents are very raw and natural, I dig them. I really like wearing Lust http://www.lush.ca/shop/gorillaperfume/gorilla-perfumes/lust-perfume/ which is mainly Jasmine scented, and the Tuca Tuca is another favourite http://www.lush.ca/shop/gorillaperfume/gorilla-perfumes/tuca-tuca-perfume/ which smells like violets and sandalwood and lovely things, and then if I feel like smelling like a hippie, they have their Karma perfume http://www.lush.ca/shop/gorillaperfume/gorilla-perfumes/karma-perfume/ which is Patchouli and orange scented.

    I should probably branch out into some more ladylike grownup perfumes but I am always at a loss as to what smells good to me and ON me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hot Couture by Givenchy a lot...also Angel by Thiery Mugler is very unique, but really nice. My nose doesn't work very well, but I always get compliments when I'm wearing these two fragrances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Narcisse by Chloe for "real" perfume (a good floriental), a custom-made lotion scented with strawberry, vanilla, and sandalwood for my hippie days, and Deep Night by Ghost for special occasions (since it's impossible to find).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only smelled the insert in a magazine, but I really like Daisy by Marc Jacobs. It's on my Christmas list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. L Lamb by Gwen Stefani is one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear Miss Dior Cherie every day, and I get compliments on it all the time-- it's young and pretty without being cloying, even though there are notes of strawberry and popcorn, and it's not too strong. And the bottle is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't wear too much perfume but some that I have & love are Fracas, a little French perfume a friend bought me years ago. I also like a gardenia/jasmine oil that I use. And Bvlgari scents are nice! -xo

    Madison of FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually wear some perfume that I got in New Orleans or some custom Aveda perfume, that smells like citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not too much of a perfume girl, but those pictures are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pink, purple and white trees of the moment! I'm sure after it rains tomorrow, the flowers will all be gone :( But I love 'em and the sweet but light scent they have!

    Not much of a perfume girl myself but I my mom would say my nose could smell too many things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to buy the Escada scents - they smell less floral and more fruity (sort of citrusy). Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete