Thursday, May 5, 2011

curious birds: online shopping

i love shopping. i love physically going to a brick and mortar store and pawing through racks and racks of clothing, shoes and accessories. i will walk through a store, pick out a good 20 things, try them on...and then i will walk through the store a second time to make sure i didn't miss anything. but let's get real, i don't have that kind of time. sure, there are days when i pick my kids up from school, with a portable dinner in tow so that we can all go to the local thrift store (yes, i have taught my kids to love thrift stores, garage and rummage sales). but i like to go to most retail stores sans the kids. the blaring music and huge crowds of forever 21 just isn't conducive to bringing your kids. maybe some day...but then probably that day, i shouldn't be shopping at forever 21 anymore.

so when i can't get to a store, online shopping is key. cause ya know, i have to shop (my mom literally thinks i have an addiction)! which leads me to today's question: where is your favorite place to shop online?

i have a few favorites, but i'd have to say forever 21 is my go-to online shopping store. i know that i can get a full outfit, including jewelry and a purse, if i really need/want to. they typically have free shipping on orders over $50, and let's face it, you can get a ton of stuff for $50 there. i know what sizes i am there, and i have tried on enough of their clothes that i know (for the most part) what will look good on me and what won't. i have no idea how their online returns work because there is an actual forever 21 within a few miles of my house, so if by chance i don't like something, i usually just end up returning it to the store.

as for shoes, i love urban original. they have super cute and super cheap shoes. i typically don't buy leather, so i usually end up buying cheap shoes, which suits my pocket book just fine. i like urban original because you can shop by style, size, price range and color; with such options to choose from like "party shoes", "wedges" and "open-toe heels". again, they typically have free shipping over $50. their return policy doesn't look fabulous, as they charge a restocking fee on free shipping orders...but again, i have never actually had to return a pair!

those are my faves, but i would love to hear your thoughts. i am always looking for new affordable places to shop (or even unaffordable places to "window" shop) online. so where do you online shop? what do you typically like to buy online?


whole outfit ~ forever 21
shoes ~ urban original

xoxo,
megan bird

13 comments:

  1. My favourite place to shop online is actually Etsy! I'm a big vintage fan, and a fan of handmade original clothes, and it's the PERFECT place. Things are rarer and harder to find if you want something extremely specific, but there's so much to browse, and it's so fun to know if you buy something, no one else can buy it! Plus there's no bidding like e-bay, so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great outfit! I like ASOS.com, forever21.com, orbanoutfitters.com (great pieces on their $9.99 sale page). I also subscribe to ShopItToMe's sale mail so every week I get an alert about online sales at some of my pre-selected online stores like J. Crew, New York & Co., etc. Also, Anthropologie: online or brick and mortar is def a favorite.

    nataliemack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you on Forever21 - that's my joint! I'd say 85 percent of my clothes come from them. And $50 does get you far in there! I have to say I'm a little jealous - being that I can't shop for 30 days (its on my blog), I'll live through you and your purchases for now...

    - Jen
    houseofjeffers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like 6pm.cpm for the best deals around (usually) on shoes. The site has a great filter also. Shipping is usually a low flat fee with occasional shipping discounts. Returns are also super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't shop online often, except for shoes from 6pm, so I'm interested in reading the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Etsys vintage section! (Though beware there are a lot of fakers on there! hahaha!) I can usually score a great deal on cute stuff! I bought a killer sailor dress last year that will be perfect this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty cheap so I'll usually only buy online if there is free shipping. I have a Luxe card from Banana Republic (because I spend too much money at the Gap affiliate stores) so shipping is always free and returns are easy to do at the stores. I also love zappos, but have recently started shopping at 6pm (owned by zappos I think) even though they have a shipping charge, but only when I know I won't return the shoes. Anthropologie online is great when shipping is free, but otherwise I refuse to pay extra to take a chance on something that may not fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Etsy, Forever 21, Old Navy, Ruche, Modcloth....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty Shirt!
    I love the color :)

    http://anhourafteryesterday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like many other commenters, my favorite place to shop online is Etsy. I just love the variety and I've never bought an item I needed to return.
    I love Victoria's Secret online and since I've been wearing their stuff long enough, I know my sizes and they have a lot more variety online than instore and returns are a cinch.
    I love window shopping at Anthropologie (in store and online!) but I just can't afford most of their stuff. It gives me inspiration for what to look for while thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT STYLE :D Followed ya, I wish i was an expert at online shopping ...

    www.fantailflo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. that tunic is beautiful! let me recommend Urban Outfitters online sale. but please, unless you're cool with falling in love with 25 different $70 dresses, stick to the sale section. Things there are usually between $10-$40 :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have bought a few things on ebay, but not always with success. Because of my pear shape, I stay away from pants or dresses for most of my online shopping since I don't know what the fit will be like. But I have even bought clothes from Target - they have different stuff online than in the store! I also like getting stuff from Ideeli, they have designer brands at cheaper prices. I also like Downeast Basics and Shabby Apple since I can't get them in Texas.
    But really, nothing beats going to the department store for me. I'm hoping to get more comfortable with thrift shopping and just do that more so I can save money.

    ReplyDelete