Thursday, April 28, 2011

curious birds: the perfect tan

hey everyone! first off i would like to give megan bird a giant virtual hug and a huge thank you for taking over the blog entirely while i was gone. she is amazing and she did such a fabulous job. she is seriously a super woman. i don't know how she does it all! wonderful mom, fantastic wife, career woman, awesome sister, super blogger...just to name a few of the things she does on a daily basis. thank you, megan bird! i couldn't do any of this without you!
i missed you all while i was gone. i must say i am very happy to be back and blogging again! i was nervous i wouldn't be able to post today as this morning before i left for the gym my internet died. but, thankfully, it was back on when i got home! i also want to apologize for the late post...my daughter is still on california time. she was up late and slept in a bit this morning. we are working hard on getting her back on schedule but i think it might be a couple more days...

anyway, enough about me...

for today's curious birds post i would like to know what you think of self tanning lotions. 

do you use them? do you have a favorite brand? have you found one that has a nice scent rather than that yucky self tanner smell? i am still trying to find the perfect one. as we all know, i am extremely pale. as evidenced by my sad, translucent legs in this photo...

 although, when i try, i can get quite a nice tan. the problem is, i don't lay out in the sun anymore (covered in baby oil and lemon juice! gasp!) like i used to in my teens and twenties. and when i am in the sun i am usually covered in sunscreen. i am also fearful of the mystic tan. i fear my skin would turn orange, and orange is just not my best color! so, if i want a nice, natural glow (YES, PLEASE!!!) i look to the self tanning lotions.

so far i have found the jergens natural glow brand to be the best for me. it is in my price point (although i could be talked into spending a bit more) and it has an okay scent. not great, but not horrible. also, they have a number of different options to choose from. you can get one for pale skin (hello???), medium tones and darker skin. they also have lotions with firming action, ones that claim to revitalize skin, lotions with shimmer, lotions for your face...i could go on. but i won't. i promise. i am willing and ready to try another brand if you have one to suggest. i am dreaming of that perfect tan for this spring and summer (if the spring and summer ever decides to happen here in minnesota). if any of you have any brands you use and love, please tell me! i will likely go right out and buy each and every one!

i hope you are all having a great thursday. i am really looking forward to the weekend! we have a lot of fun family plans! i love weekends filled with fun and family. what could be better??? well, perhaps fun and family and a really nice tan!!!


xoxo, nora bird

26 comments:

  1. Jergens is definitely my favorite!!
    BUTT!!! [and i have a big butt}
    Equate, the walmart version is like an exact duplicate. Just be sure to wash your hands afterwards!! I'm currently using it, but would love to know which facial tanners work best!!


    www.mrsvolnoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i've never used tanning lotion, probably because i'm already dark skinned. but what i have learned is that if you want a golden tan, it's incredibly important to still use spf. without it, we'd come out looking sunburnt and baked =)...goodluck! souds like you'll be getting some sun soon.

    ~Fae
    http://www.rosypop.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two years ago I bought a self-tanning lotion which was supposed to increase my tan gradually but I didn't see any difference. And I don't actually like the process of applying the lotion everyday, so I stopped using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use banana boat and loreal gel. I mix them both with the gradual tan hemp I found at wal-mart.All of those smell better to me than the jergens. I mix them all together and I get the color without streaking. I also use them on my face as well. No streaking at all. Just be sure to shave and exfoliate really good before you apply and it will last for almost 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been looking for the perfect tanning lotion. My legs just don't tan as well as my upper body. I have tried Jergens and kept up with it. It's the best one I've used so far.
    Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog.I've been enjoying reading you and your sister's posts. I am a fan for sure and now will be following.
    xo-AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking at that exact jergens for pale ppl lotion last time I was in Target. So do you put it on everyday? Does it make you a little darker or a lot darker?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an über-pale person, I think Jergen's is definitely the best! It always works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and great blog! I'm now following :). XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never used tanning lotion before but I want to give it a try for the Summer. I am totally going to take your advice on this one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tanning lotion is amazing, never used that type but sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am with you there - chicago has me paler than pale! i'm not a *huge* fan of self tanners, mostly because i'm too impatient to let it dry before getting dressed, but i'm going to try spray tanning before a wedding in a month or so!

    thanks for stopping by my blog! yours is lovely and i'm now following :)

    xo.ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never used a self-tanner, since I get nervous about messing it up. Maybe I'll have to try the Jergens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. helene (and anyone else interested!)-jergens just gets you a little darker very gradually (and you can choose the tone suitable to your skin). and it is very hard to mess up. i use it almost every day. it just goes on like lotion. and i can usually put clothes on right away after applying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I swore to stay pale this summer just gone. Quite a tricky pledge to take in Australia! I made it through until just one day when I forgot my brolly and got colour on my chest and arms. It kind of spoilt the effect I was after: total pale-out. I like either no tan, or all-over tan. Not blotchy bits here and there. Sorry, I can't suggest anything but a brolly - I think your pale skin looks beautiful!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post... I was just looking at self-tanners to help my legs keep up with my upper body (haha) and it sounds like Jergens would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comment! A lot of my not so pigmented friends like the jergan's lotion! Sorry I've got no experience on that front :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Jergens stuff! I have been looking to see if there's one with less of a chemically smell, but I have yet to find one. But if the smell is the only downside to jergens, I'll take it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So funny you did this post cause after my inspiration monday post in white shorts I got comments about my tanned legs. And that is the result of using the Jergens gradual building self tanner. Lat year I used the the type you have the picture above but this year they have this express kind where it builds in 4 days. It is great if you have a weekend event where you will bear skin you can be ready within the week. I agree with your comments that Jergens is the best. The smell is bearable and if you use every other day (not every day) the tan is
    very natural looking.
    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh goodness I wish I had good things to say about self-tanner. I'm super pale, and nothing EVER works for me. I like Jergens the best, but for some reason I can never find the "fair skin" kind anymore. Are they still making that?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm as pasty as they get so I'm always looking for a good self-tanner. I've used Neutrogena (long time ago, but didn't like it) and Jergens but I went the cheapo route and bought the Target version which gives me the same level of fake tan, but I think the smell is obvious. I now layer that with some stinky floral Bath and Body lotion, but I really think I need to upgrade. Why, oh why does a real tan have to kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, yr blog is great! Follow each??

    Btw, I have my 1st giveaway in my blog, hope you are interested to join XD

    http://mrsvintagehk.blogspot.com/2011/04/mrs-vintages-1st-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I have tried every self-tanner out there at one point or another and some are definitely far better than others. The Express Jergen's is my every day fave since I agree with Daphne, you can use it like regular lotion and get dressed right away. If you want more color faster (and that doesn't turn us pale-skinned folks orange), Clarins makes one with Delicious in the title (comes in a tub at Sephora or Dillards). It's about $40, but a little goes a LONG way. Just be sure to scrub before and wear gloves when applying!

    Good luck!

    XOXO
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  23. The translucent leg thing means one thing, and one thing only. You gotta go where the sun shows once every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a trial bottle of Dove Energy Glow that I alway use on my face, and Jergens Express for my body. I love the way the energy glow applies and works on my skin. However, I haven't ever been able to find it in the store. I think they maybe stopped making it. :( But if you can find some, try it! It goes on easily, isn't too thick, and the smell is just fine(I wear it on my face and am not bothered). Also, you can put multiple coats on to get darker faster, and it has never looked funny!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always been too paranoid to try self-tanning. I have this horrible image in my head of missing areas or parts being darker or having weird tan-shapes on my skin and just... no thank you haha.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You know, I think it's quite amusing how people in the West want to be tanned but people in the East want to be pale!

    In fact, there's quite a few examples: Japanese Geishas are thought to be beautiful, but they wear stark white makeup! And you should also google 'Fair & Lovely'- it's a cream (very popular in Pakistan/India) which is basically meant to bleach your skin!

    Funny how everyone tries so hard to change what they're born with, eh? ;) I say rather than saying being tan is 'in' one season & being pale the next, we embrace everyone no matter what their colour! =D

    ReplyDelete