Friday, January 14, 2011

i'm good enough, i'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

yesterday, my sisters and i were emailing back and forth about body image. a few of us (myself included) tend to be a little crazy when it comes to things like weight, the fit of clothes and exercise. i admit, i am a bit of a freak about exercising. i try to work out six days a week, and i sometimes feel guilty if it's only five. i am not saying this to brag...i am saying i have issues. i think, however, that i have gotten way better over the years. there is something about being in your 30s and having kids and someone to love that makes you not care so much about appearances. but every once in a while (once a month to be precise), those feelings of insecurity sneak back up and i feel a little down in the dumps. don't get me wrong...i think i'm a pretty person who has a nice body...i know i could never compare myself to jennifer aniston, so i don't even try. i don't have millions of dollars and 10 hours a day to work out. the fact of the matter is, the reason i work out so much is because i LOVE to eat and enjoy the occasional cocktail. anyways, i digress....

so after these emails back and forth, i started thinking about how everyone should embrace what they have (or as my four-year-old daughter would say "SHAKE WHAT YOUR MAMA GAVE YA!"). i was doing my P90X back and arms dvd when i happened to catch a glance of myself in the mirror. it was at that point that i had to pause the dvd because i had a blog inspiration. i wanted to write a blog about the fact that i do love my body, i do think i'm pretty...and i hope that everyone out there feels the same way about themselves. i figured that everyone had to at least have one favorite part of their body. so, as humbling as it is for me...i decided to take pictures of my favorite part of my body...and i hope it can inspire people to love who they are and to really shake what your mama gave ya!



yep, i had to try on three different dresses to try to get the picture right. i was by myself last night and it's actually quite hard to get a decent snapshot of one's back. so here you have it...i think i have a rather nice back. i'm not asking for compliments...i'm just trying to be a little self-confident...not afraid to admit that there is something about my body that i like. how about you? what is your favorite body part?

as a side note, i have to say that after taking these pictures, i did indeed go on to finish the P90X dvd...in a dress.

3 comments:

  1. 1. P90X is hardcore and you should feel amazing just for being able to do them.
    2. Your back is beautiful and you should show it off.
    3. I too have body issues and feel guilty for working out less than 6 days a week. For me, I was overweight as a kid and teen and have never gotten out of that "fat" mindset. I'm getting better, but I think it's something that always stays with you.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!!! and you're right, that is what it is for me, too...being made fun of as a kid REALLY sticks with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought my best feature was my shoulders and back, but felt weird saying so because they are so random. Glad I am not the only one! It's definitely from playing basketball in high school and all those training/conditioning days in the weight room, but some of those muscles decided to stay around:)

    P.S. Great post. Everyone should love their body <3

    ReplyDelete