Friday, January 14, 2011

friend friday: the zen of getting dressed

if you haven't figured it out yet, i love picking out outfits...it's kind of a zen-like experience for me, a form of meditation. so today's friend friday questions are fun ones for me to answer. if you want to be a part of fbff, or if you'd like to read other's answers, click on over to Modly Chic.

1. how do you determine what you will wear that day?
here's how it works for me...my alarm goes off at 6:00, i promptly turn it off and lay in bed for a few minutes. i give myself as long as it takes to figure out what i'm wearing that day, and then i have to get up and start the day. like i said, it's my meditation...and it allows me a few more minutes to lay in bed each morning. i have somewhat of a photographic memory when it comes to my closet, so i can actually envision my clothes hanging there, and i decide in my head what i'll wear that day. of course, it doesn't always end up being what i actually wear, but that's a different story.


2. do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month, weekend?
ha! i am in no way, shape or form, that organized. i wish i could do that. the truth of the matter is, what i wear is based on how i am feeling that day...or even that minute that i am getting dressed. i can imagine an outfit in my head, but if it doesn't feel right, i will change. my outfits aren't just based on aesthetics, they are based on mood, emotions and feelings. i have to feel good about it, both physically and emotionally, or it's coming off.


3. do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don't repeat?
just my brain. the fact is, i have so many clothes, that i can usually go long periods of time without wearing the same thing. the other fact is, sometimes i have clothes that i love so much, i will wear them twice in one week. i don't mind repeats...i just make sure the same people don't see me in the same outfit!


4. how do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (trial try-ons?  hanging items together?)
reading blogs, magazines, and other forms of media always gives me ideas. i love to be inspired by other's looks and to try my own take on it. i also like to mix and match things that people would normally never pair together. i think it's fun. i never worry too much about matching...i think it's more fun that way!


5. to streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?
i don't think there is anything. honestly, i could write out a list of ideas...pick out my outfit the night before; plan a week's worth of outfits, etc...but i know that isn't going to happen. like i said, it's a nice little ritual for me everyday that i quite enjoy...so even if it takes a bit longer to get ready every morning, i don't mind.


happy friday, all!
xoxo,
megan bird

5 comments:

  1. I am the same way- I dress based on how I feel. Sometimes I'll plan an outfit the night before and when I wake up in the morning I am not in the mood to wear it so I'll pick something completely different.
    ps. LOVE those floral tights in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im all about the mixing and matching as well:)
    Makes things so much easier...and fun!

    Great FF post:)

    Stop by and say Hello♥
    Enter my Lulus Giftcard Giveaway♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your attitude about mixing and matching. I'm all about the matching and coordinating and am not entirely sure about just going with combinations that I feel at the moment. But I know, I need to add color to my life. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lay in bed and picture what I want to wear, too. I just do it before falling asleep. Either way, it makes it so much easier to go to the closet and know just what to pull out.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally get up as late as I possibly can so I tend to stick to tried and tested outfits... That said I am about to start a wardrobe challenge that will limit me to certain tops on each day of the week, I'm hoping to plan these in advance but, like you, I'm not that organised!

    ReplyDelete