today's topic is a very interesting one...sure we are all inspired by other blogs. but at what point of imitation have you stepped over the line into plagiarism? to join friend friday, or to check out other posts, check out Modly Chic.
1. What are the 'unwritten rules' about copying content that we bloggers should all abide by?
first of all, i don't think you should ever straight up copy another blogger. i am inspired by other blogs every day. if i am inspired by something that they post and decide to repost some of their images, i will always credit the blog from which i found the content. for instance, i would (and have) repost a photo of a blogger's outfit that i really love with a link to the blog i found it on. but i would never just copy an outfit i see and post it as my own outfit of the day post. if i am inspired by an outfit of the day and decide to recreate it, i would always credit the blogger who first wore it.
2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when is a post imitation and when is it copying?
like i said above, always credit the blog from which you found the content. otherwise it is copying or even almost stealing. but i see nothing wrong with recreating a look, maybe even with your own twist to it, that another blogger wore first. or posting a recipe that you saw on another blog that looked super delicious. or whatever. i would be flattered if someone liked my post so much that they wanted to share it with their readers, as long as they credited me and my blog! just tell us that is what you are doing. don't try and pass it off as your own idea.
3. Taking another blogger's idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source?
4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other bloggers? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?
not really. we are still pretty new to the blogosphere. and we are always tweaking and improving and changing and evolving. and i am constantly inspired by other blogs, of course. but i haven't actually made any changes to our blog based on what other bloggers are doing. i try not to compare our blog with others (which is hard sometimes. there are some amazing blogs out there!). i just try and post about what i love and think others may like to see and read about.
5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?
as far as i know, no one has ever copied any of our blog posts.
images via here, here and here